scenery

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
scenery

Help!! After having spoken to some fellow abctalers we came to the conclusion that the poems we write about scenery are somewhat cliched and cheesy. I am off to Austria on the 4th July for a holiday. It has breathtaking views and I thought if someone could give me tips on how to write good poetry about scenery then I could use some of my holiday time writing.

Ta muckle,
Sarah

jackson buttock
Anonymous's picture
all this unrestrained buttockry is quite bourgeois, have a lie down on your ikea furniture, you. :o,
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Wot's Ikea?
glasses
Anonymous's picture
I like it.
spag man
Anonymous's picture
I, one of the guys ickle spoke to agree. I try to write about countryside but it comes out all wrong.
julie andrews
Anonymous's picture
high on a hill lived a lonely goat herd yodel ay yodel ay yodel ay ee oooooo.
ickle_princess
Anonymous's picture
Yes thank you Julie Andrews I will be swinging my carpet bag, whilst wearing a pair of old curtains and singing at the top of my voice!! Still doesn't help me write poetry about scenery!!
Bogart
Anonymous's picture
I like ice in my Bourbon. It adds a little scenery. hope that helps, ickle. Say, are you a carpetbagger?
ickle_princess
Anonymous's picture
Thanks Bogart - not sure how that helps but I am sure it does somehow!! :-)
Shabnam
Anonymous's picture
You could try writing about how the scenery makes you feel. you know what they say about painting sceneries?The painting should be what YOU see,not what it actually looks like(if that makes any sense!).Maybe poetry should be the same way. Enjoy your holiday!
ickle_princess
Anonymous's picture
Thanks Shabnam that is actually a really good way to look at it. Never thought of writing a poem about scenery from that angle. Cheers mate! :-)
hairy welsh man...
Anonymous's picture
cant remember if ive said this before, but take some photographs of what you are looking at, along with notes about the things you cant describe in a picture: smells and sounds along with any feeling you might get of the overall image. it's more than a 2 or even 3 dimensional picture. associate the landscape with that of another place, the different ways that they make you feel, and how you felt before you came there. a bit of foreknowledge helps here; you have to know that you are going to be taking notes later, and yes taking notes does help immensely, even more so than photographs. plus, the best tip would be not to push yourself to make the most of your hols. even if you are going to a bonny place, a poem you write about it will still be crap if you arent inspired by it. dont write anything you dont want to, no point in it if you dont. also an idea is, associate the scenery with a human interest, if not yours then that of someone else in the past or purely fictional. you can involve nature and humanity as much or as little as you want, and it shows. good example is poetry of thomas hardy, which if you have time i would recommend rucsing to the library to get! he tells human interest stories in the midst of luxurious landscapes, and shows the fickleness of both but ultimately that nature lasts far longer than the concerns of human drama. hope that is any help, h. welshman
Liana
Anonymous's picture
**cant remember if ive said this before, but take some photographs of what you are looking at, along with notes about the things you cant describe in a picture: smells and sounds along with any feeling you might get of the overall image. it's more than a 2 or even 3 dimensional picture.** The above post, especially the piece I pulled out, is one of the best, most constructive things lve ever seen, advice wise. Nice one.
h.welshman
Anonymous's picture
thanks, i dont really have all that much chance to use my own advice, since i don't go anywhere picaresque, just wales :O) oh yeah, it's still better than england tho. or forfar.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Having lived in both Wales, and England Have to disagree with you on that point :o)
ickle_princess
Anonymous's picture
*singing 'the hills are alive with the sound of music' whilst wearing an outfit not unlike that of a nun* Just returned from my holiday in Austria and have taken all of your advice - thank you, you kind souls! I took lots of pictures, most of which are probably rubbish and I also took a lot of time to sit and take notes about how certain parts of Austria made me feel. Not sure I will produce any good poetry from it but it definitely enriched my holiday and made me appreciate certain landscapes more. Anyway I am off to make some carpet clothes for the children - I don't want those old drapes going to waste!! Too da loo for noo, Sarah Von Trapp.
julie
Anonymous's picture
glad you had a good time sarah oh how was the flight, Trapp?
Captain Von Trapp
Anonymous's picture
*standing with whistle and guitar in hand* We didn't use the plane, I thought it would be much better for the children if we climbed every mountain to our destination.
Julie Andrews
Anonymous's picture
tomorrow we escape colditz. by tunnel. if only hitler had waited 50 years. monday: the maginot line. then (not via poland) the black forest (very scenic by all accounts). later: vichy france: hope to collaborate on a piece there. am taking the words of hairy welshman with me but suspect I will only write about sheep. doesn't rhyme does it really?.... doh a sheep a female sheep ray a drop of golden gun me a name I call will self far mer with no flock to run so a needle culling thread la a note that follows euro ti a shrink with pitta fred which brings us back to bart simpson (thats the kind of crap I write in 10 mins) farewell, so long, auf ........ .......................................................................i
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I can recommend the scenery here...well, maybe not PRECISELY here, as I am in a smelly smoky net cafe...but outside, where I will be in precisely 2 minutes, its hyperglorious. Sunshine, wine and the most beauteous men in the world passing by with their delicious miniscule buttocks bobbing up and down:o) Its wondrous for the writing, the power of the architecture the garlicky smells, the soundsof classical jazz wafting across the square.... Yum. Sadly, home tomorrow for a while... Pip toodles etc Liana
ickle_princess
Anonymous's picture
Stop making me jealous Liana!! I like your type of scenery though, especially the miniscule buttocks bobbing up and down! I would pay to see that. :-)
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Bugger that, I wouldn't! Got better things to spend me hard earned dosh on - like...er...um...
Topic locked