How do you know when your free verse is any good?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
How do you know when your free verse is any good?

Possibly the subjects too long... Ive kinda said it all already, no matter Im sure I can find extra words to spout.
Basically I often write stuff without rhyme, meter, often without talent too. What I would like to know is how to sort out the chaff from the wheat.
Most poetry is easy as it just needs to flow, you know your poem is bad when you rhyme something like orange with syringe, or even worse, orange with orange. Then of course you can count syllables to get line length write etc.
Free verse is a bit different cos there arent really any set rules I can use and Im rather critical of my work... which means that it will never see the light of day, except possibly a tiny bit as it gets transferred from rubbish cart to rubbish dump. If someone could just give me some tips into spotting when it gets bad, or even better, some tips on how to stop writing bad stuff, then I'd be really greatful.

pedro
Anonymous's picture
If every word does not count, keep at it if there is a single word which you have not actually chosen for a reason, cut it or change it vers libre (which is a f*cking oxymoron if ever I heard one, as if it is free from verse form or rules, it ain't verse - duh!) is exactly the same as formal verse. Say nothing if you do not mean it. Make every word count. NEVER NEVER NEVER just cascade your feelings and say 'what now, I don't know where to go because there are no rules'. BALLS you majke the rules, Your sense of the aesthetic, of the poetic is where the buck stops, not the OED or DR J Evans Prichard's 'Understanding Poetry'. Don't get dragged into the facile, flabby trap of thinking that vers libre is unfocused. There is too much @!#$ which simply streams from the pen and the 'poet' thinks 'it's ok if it sounds slack, it's free verse'. There is a happy medium between de-dum-de-dum-de-dum rhyming metrics and shambolic freedom. Check out the internal rhythyms and stresses of Simon armitage's 'rhymed' poetry, or even a poet on this site like Stevo. be cool, dude
fish
Anonymous's picture
one piece of advice i heard was "fill your work with concrete things" ... it's a quote from someone and i forget who ... i think it works though ... i get irritated by poems which are full of loads of abstract stuff endless feelings pouring out ... i get drawn into a poem by concrete details ... one of liana's poems has a coat on the back of a door ... it is an image that sticks in the head ... i think these things can speak for the feelings of the poet perhaps ... possibly another thing is to think is the poem set in a place and a time ... not sure if this will work but you can try it ...
CMEast
Anonymous's picture
Thanks for the advice, I know I tend to add in a load of useless drivel, you know, where every single object or action (i forget the proper english terms... I really dont belong here :D) has about three descriptive words stuck some where on it i.e her soft silky breath gently caressed by tired sallow cheek etc... bleh. Ill remember to cut those bits out and stick more in about coats and doors :P
Mark Ashley
Anonymous's picture
I have trawled through some of my own work in an attempt to answer this quesion, an answer I am never quite sure of myself, and I have to admit, I still don't know. For me the concrete is irrelevant, but based on ratings and cherries, my taste is in opposition to the majority. I would go for flow and pace within a poem; when reading I want something that pulls me in and along rather than something holds me back and forces me to re-read each line over again before I can move on. From this perspective concrete content is irrelevant. If you write rhyme and rhythm and are adept at it, I believe you need not worry about the difference between that and free verse. I'd always tell someone to keep at the rhyme and meter until it becomes second nature, it's a valuable skill. I mean, free verse still has rhythm, it's just less obvious.
bob the builder
Anonymous's picture
cubic meters of concrete are always relevant. it's those that cannot count sillybubs and force the rime that renders it unworkable. we water our concrete down on site. it makes it flow more freely. bob the nob
Fecky
Anonymous's picture
You know when your free verse is good enough when someone offers to pay for it.
Mark Ashley
Anonymous's picture
oh yes, of course, how come I didn't think of that
CMEast
Anonymous's picture
Hmmm, I try writing in concrete and it just doesnt look like poetry to me, the tiny amount of ... creativity? Talent? Soul? What ever it is it shouts at me to burn it BURN IT... ahem, excuse me. Maybe its just not my forte
Topic locked