Lulu.com - a new kind of self-publishing

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lulu.com - a new kind of self-publishing

I dabble in publishing out-of-print and public domain texts in new editions, and I've been using Lulu.com (www.lulu.com) for almost a year now exclusively. Unlike the companies that try to pass themselves off as publishers but in fact charge authors an arm and a leg for a basic set of services, Lulu.com just offers a tool for distributing a book using print on demand production and the web as a commerce/distribution tool. Services are ala carte. You can provide your own services and not pay a thing.

I was concerned because I saw a post elsewhere in this discussion that seemed to disparage Lulu, but after going back and looking at it, the post was from someone who has obviously never used Lulu.com to publish a book. I think Lulu.com is a genuinely new model for self-publishing. I can see how even regular publishers could find it useful for distributing their out of print titles and whatnot. Highly recommended.

Douglas Lindsey
http://www.lulu.com/Democracy

[%sig%]

Andrew | PABD
Anonymous's picture
I agree - lulu are an ethical and decent company which gives authors a much needed alternative. We're currently developing an 'author's rights agenda' with them which we're planning on publishing jointly. Using lulu means that you do have to do a lot of the work yourselves that we at PABD do for the author, like typesetting your book and making sure that the pdf file is print ready. There's of course nothing wrong with that for people who have the necessary skills and software.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Yes, agree, have heard only good things about both Lulu and PABD.
Topic locked