UK LAW - glasgow

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
UK LAW - glasgow

Happy easter to all.

I have got a question and iw as wondering if any of the abctales contirbuters know the answer.

A few months ago this person was arrested in glagsow for an offence which is not really criminal in root. Here is what happened during the arrest. im sure it was illegal and juts tryiog to clarify this independantly.

He was taken earl;y Saturday morning from athe hospital to a police station. he asked for his solicitor to be present in the polcie station. teh custody offcier said he would do this. From saturday morning to monday morning no solicitor appeared. On the monday morning eh was transferred to Glasgwo sherrif courts. Druing the monday eh sat all day in the court cells. No solicitor appeared yet he continually asked to see one.

On monday evening in Glasgow sherrif court cells at about eight pm he was removed form the cells and told he would be spending the night in hmp barlinne as the courts were to busy.

He was taken to hmp prison barlinne glasgow with out being in front of any kind of judge or sherrif nor had he been given a solicitor nor was it expalined to him clearly why eh was being put ina prion when he had not even being in front of any kind of sherrif.

summing up.

So he was put in british prison without seeing a solicitor, over nearly four days in custody ,and then he was taken from the courts to a prison as an unconvicted prison with out even being in front of any kind of judge. No solicitor was present for nearly four days during his time in police custody. This si allr ecodred.

This is surely illegal. Surely in the UK it has to be expalined clearly by a judge with a solicitor present before being put in a prison and surely noone can be put in hmp priosnw ithotu beign front of a judge or a sherrif. Can anyone clarify this was illegal under uk or international law.

Suelty noone can be put in a british prison without being in front of courts of law with a solicitor first. In glasgow you can it seems !!!

stephen

I don't know the laws in the UK regarding this type of situation, but I would expect they are not too different from over here. We have laws that specify the maximum amount of time a person may be held by police before appearing before a judge and/or charged with a crime. "habeas corpus ad subjiciendum" It is most unfortunate for a prisoner to be detained at the start of a weekend. Most commonly they have to wait a couple of days until the courts and lawyers are back on the clock. Thus, I would expect a maximum of 72 hours of detention without seeing a lawyer or judge would be expected. US law is based in large on English common law, so I'm sure there is an application here. The second issue of "where" someone is detained may be immaterial. There are always shortages of space in various jails so authorities may use what ever space is lawfully available to house an inmate until his release.

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

uuhhh, oh well, its not me anyway its juts case i read in the paper;. Ive stopped getting in to trub nowadays, *holds head shamefully, and perks back up again* nohh thats all finished. Im a good un, nowadays if you walk down the byres road in glesgae you know when i walking up the road, you can see my halo ; first, it shines brightly and on dark sultry nights, maybe when the street lights have dimmed and the rats are getting ready to come out to play, it will light up the whole street. My halo i mean. Its somehting ive promised to stop this year'dissin' the city of glesgae. I love glesgae for its mean nasty city image you can alwasy count on the famous glasgean sense of humour to cut through through the drabness that seems to forever settle o'er the city. Anwya wya happy easter all hope you roled your eggs down the hill to keep in with tradition. yohoho

stephen

Sometimes i think that abc should install a delte post button, i would probably be an avid user. when i said i love glesgae for its mean nsty image i actually meant, the follwoing line, i love the way the famous glesgae humour shines through. The city is famous for its humour and few other things. Anyway just thought i bob on for chat, a moan and then to try and out it all right. Whatya all up to ??? sunnying yourselfs on the surry lakes no doubt or maybe on the pedaloes on the brighton or maybe skinny dipping in denver, without a care in the world no doubt. Dont forget the hankeys. Chromers burn easy. Anyway *yawns im listenign to clasics top 300 weekend and were coming on to the top 20 *yipee* so itllbe case of the the blank tape ready. Anyway i wa sonly kidding about the post juts trying to eb bit contraverial. Thats all !

stephen

The solicitor was obviously enjoying his easter break! Hear my music: http://music.download.com/3600-5-100795586.html

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Topic locked