A three pipe problem - brighteyes

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
A three pipe problem - brighteyes

http://www.abctales.com/story/brighteyes/a-three-pipe-problem

A lovely poem, and not only because I have a big penchant for Sherlock Holmes.

I particularly like

Mrs Hudson's breathing loops,
all these forbidden.

Cadaverous, cat eyes bright
above dark half moons. A twitch
in a cheek fold

And:

Brows level,
jowls accented
by some fairy felt-tip

And

Recruitment cries.

Only word that I don't like is 'cobbles' and that is only because the rest of the poem is so original that cobbles seems like an easy choice, not original enough in the context.

How do you feel about "ruts" instead, fergal? I agree with the cobbles thing. b x "I have a room for life at the Home for the Chronically Groovy."

"I have a room for life at the Home for the Chronically Groovy."

I like ruts, but would it make me a complete arse if I asked nicely for you to think of something else? Ruts is nearly there, I reckon, but not quite... (obviously your poem - what the blazes do I know?' I just re-read it again a few times and like it even more this morning. jowls accented by some fairy felt-tip - just lovely and - A twitch in a cheek fold I'm going to remember those for a long time.
(what about 'furrows'? - just a thought)
I'm an idiot - forget the furrows suggestion... it features a bit later...instead, how about troughs or gulleys... or how about I stop suggesting things now?
Hey there fergal! It's a toughie. I agree ruts may not be quite there. Thing about furrows and gulleys is they sound quite rural and it's a London street. Hmm...I'll go away and have a bit of a think about it. Could re-jig it so it uses an adjective then a simple "stones", like "uneven stones" only a little more interesting. Good point to ponder. Ooh, and thank you so much for the Poem of the Week recommendation! It was such a cool surprise! "I have a room for life at the Home for the Chronically Groovy."

Since Baker Street was covered with Victorian cobbles I doubt there would there be ruts or furrows. Maybe you could use : No wren is permitted to twitter in Baker street; this they seem to observe, passing on the message to sparrows, crows, the barrows that squeak along the cobblestones. or, if you really don't want cobblestones then don't have anything : ... sparrows, crows, the barrows that squeak along Baker Street
Great poem, though I thought the anthropomorphic stanza about the birds was a bit strange. But Fergal's picked out a whole load of memorable images.
Thanks for the feedback on this one guys. I like mykle's suggestion. I think simple may be the way to go, so a tweak along those lines will be made. Lots better for pace and rhythm too, now you bring it to light. The birds bit is a little off kilter. I meant it to sound odd, mentioning birds in London, a little like the wartime song "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square", in which it is a rarity. Here, it was meant to imply that however unlikely it would be for a wren to sing, it was banned on the offchance. Ach, these things always seem coherent in my head. I feel a mite fuzzy right now. Thanks again for the feedback folks! Mucho aprpeciated!

Topic locked