What do they want from us writers

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do they want from us writers

I am starting to get a bit annoyed at the moment and need some help here due to getting rejections from magazines that print work from new writers like poetry or short stories. The thing that I can't understand is they say any theme or subject (I am not talking about a particular magazine that only takes on fantasy or sc-if themes) on the submissions guidelines but when I send in my work they don't seem to know even when I have tried to edit, send a covering letter and double space my work to a magazine again as it has been some time since I have done that I but still I am not getting any luck and if the submissions guidelines don't say anything about sending a covering letter and double space your work do you still do it or not to me sending my work seems to be a confusing process so the question is what do they want from us writers and what am I doing wrong do you think maybe it's because I am sending my work to the wrong magazines and will I have more luck in entering competitions.

Your course should cover submission, if not it may not be a very good course. There is a lot more to being a professional writer than mere writing. Be clear, be concise above all be patient. I suspect you are new to the game - welcome to a long and frustrating career. Read a lot, write a lot and don't be afraid to learn from others. All the best Skinsen
Writing that made some sense would be a start.
hahaha A point I was happy to leave to some one else - but true. Another cruel reality of the writers life - the critic... or truth... depending on your outlook. Well put, Doc!
I'm fighting my instinct to slap Jekyll's wrists here, but a sentence of over 160 words with just one comma, and no other punctuation, is hardly likely to make the recipients of your manuscripts think you're a reasonable writer. Is it?
Mr Hiding, can I ask you how Bill is?
who's Bill? Juliet

Juliet

"if the submissions guidelines don’t say anything about sending a covering letter and double space your work do you still do it" It generally makes sense to include a covering letter because, if you send anyone anything in the post, it's basic politeness to send a note saying (briefly) what you're sending them and why. Basic politeness is always a good start if you want someone to do something for you. Double spacing probably isn't necessary for short poems but for short stories of 1000 words+ it's probably a good idea. Your aim should be to make the experience of reading your work as comfortable and easy as possible for an editor so that they judge your on your writing ability rather than anything else. That said - as noted harshly but accurately above - the prose you're using in your opening post is not publishable standard, so some work on basic writing technique may be worthwhile.

Bill is a cat with very long fur who is far too neurotic to ever be feral.
Oh look! It's 'The Day Of The Jekyll'.

ah, fack off, you unfunny leech! There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennet

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Topic locked