Lulu Publishing.

1 post / 0 new
Lulu Publishing.

Some time ago Tony reported on his meeting with Bob Young of Lulu, it intrigued me and I decided to try it out. Apart from a magazine article in "Family Circle" years ago, I have never had any of my 'Creative work' published other than on the internet and I doubt if I ever will, so it seemed like a good opportunity to satisfy my desire to see something of mine in print.

The ads are accurate, it is easy and free to publish your work, but, inevitably, I didn't follow the instructions to edit and size the body copy as well as I should and the first results were disappointing. It was not Lulu's fault though, it was mine. I simply didn't pay enough attention to the basics of publishing. I should have known better! I revised the copy, went through it with a fine tooth comb, worked out the sizing of the book and then checked it all again. Then published. This time I was satisfied.(If anyone is interested the book is called "Short Stories for Long Journeys).

I thought it may be helpful to anyone out there contemplating using Lulu if I recorded my experiences. In the light of what happened, I would offer this advice. Read the instructions very carefully before you start and then read them again when you have finished. Then check your copy and page sizing allowing blank pages where appropriate, (something else I forgot to do) before you upload your book. Recognise that there are limitations on what you can do with the copy once it has been uploaded. If you are completely confident that you have completed all the work properly...go ahead and and publish.

It seems to me that the only costs are those you choose to incur in the marketing area and that seems fair enough.

Thanks for the intro Tony I enjoyed the experience of constructing and publishing my own work.