What gives a book visual appeal?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
What gives a book visual appeal?

I'm interested in why I sometimes pick a particular book from the shelf at the library or in a bookshop and leave others untouched. Anyone know why?

andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
A movie critic once had a rule to avoid any movie where the cast's faces appeared in boxes on the movie poster - my rule for books is to avoid any where the author's surname is printed in larger text than their first name on the cover (especially if in silver writing). To be honest, when I buy books I always have a quick look at the title, then a quick look at the back (if the story isn't set in modern times (at least twentieth century) I don't read it - I am very shallow and no doubt missing out on a lot, but have never connected at all with historical stuff) After that, I read as much as I can read in the shop without blushing. Generally, I then know if it is okay. But as to what makes me pick up that particular book, I don't know.
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
I am on the shortish side (5' 2") but have no compunction about using steps to reach what I want. And, no, this is not a trick question. I was just interested why someone would pick out one book from the shelves and not another, providing neither of the authors' names were known.
kurious oranj
Anonymous's picture
naked women are, of course, a must
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
Why?
oranj
Anonymous's picture
oh dear.
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
Sorry, Orang - As a naked woman myself I can't help taking offence.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Mandy, go and get dressed right now!
nessa
Anonymous's picture
I have to shamefully admit to buying loads of the those new edition 'Penguin Classics', purely because I liked the pretty covers. I've read some of them but everytime I see the others lying forlornly on my shelves, I hang my head in shame. Curse my blatant materialism!!
richardw
Anonymous's picture
those penguin classics are very well packaged, with the exception of the trial by franz kafka, one of those horrible modernist paintings is on the front.
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
2 Generations ago, a relative on your father's side, aunt Elsie, had a premonition. She saw a little girl in a small dingy drifting out to see calmly reading Enid Blyton. Although Enid had yet to be born, aunt Elsie knew something was amiss and made a vow. "If in the future my descendant should ever try to read something awful may something deep inside their psyche stop them, for no apparent reason. The rest is history.
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
Enid Blyton was my fave author throughout my childhood I hasten to add!
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
good question mandylifeboats ... i suppose the marketing of books is carefully done and we learn through experience which sort we like and which we dont ... i never pick up those big thick ones with the embossed covers for instance as i know they are not the sort i like to read ... reading groups are interesting ... i have been involved with one for a couple of years and the thing that most people say is that they have got to read things they never would have picked themselves ... there were also a few experiments in libraries where books were issued in brown bags so people got a total surprise ... i tend to read things that are recommended by friends ...
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Yuuummmmmmm!!! Enid Blyton....my parents always encouraged me to read her. The Faraway Tree has to be the best example of how to fuel a childs imagination l've ever seen. Interestingly, her books were banned from libraries, as the grammar was awful... I've always thought that it doesnt matter too much about that, as long as a child is reading, and so learning to love books, it has to be a good thing. My grammar and so on is fine, lve always thought (alas not everyone agrees with me on the forums) :o) Liana
richardw
Anonymous's picture
little fifty page books that have a neutral hardcover, not much adornment, and can be slipped into a lithe girls backpack on a midnight carry-on in the woods. Now, that's an interesting book ;o) richard
Colorado
Anonymous's picture
Perhaps it's because you're interested?
Boneyivory fish
Anonymous's picture
Perhaps Mandy you are a dwarf and can only reach the lower shelves? OK, I give up, is this a trick question?
Topic locked