I read ferguswergus by chance

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
I read ferguswergus by chance

Hello - I am living in Holland and I just surfed on this site, and i read ferguswergus things by chance. Its' very good and very funny i remember being in Scotland this two years ago
and he writings making me laugh.
Can you understand?
Did he do any book do you know?
Goodbye
cri-cri

cellarscene
Anonymous's picture
Fergus, this is how part of your very short piece reads: "An old habit. A one hundred thousand pound ring. A million dollar dresses. A real smile." Clearly there's a minor error there, and as the piece is so short it is a bit jarring. It should be "dress" singular, not "dresses" plural. (Alternatively, take away the "A".) This does not detract from the fact that it's a masterpiece of compression and a powerful statement. As an editor, I edited. Most submissions that I received when the mag. was being printed needed some changes. I am as prone to careless mistakes as anyone else, and you will find similar errors in my own work. I pointed out this one in yours only because in a work so short it jars. I would also add that I wouldn't have bothered if I'd thought your work without merit. This is NOT a personal attack!
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
My old tutor used to say, bless him, that you know you've become a 'real' writer when you find yourself editing as you read. As he'd been a Guardian editor for a good many years, I swiftly took note, as you can imagine... I'm sure Cellar didn't mean this as a personal attack, Fergus. I find myself doing the same.
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Thanks, Andrea!
Zweeti
Anonymous's picture
Hi all, I am an avid reader of that dashing Scotsman,Fergus!! He has a wicked sense of humour. I hope he gets the fame he deserves!!! Best wishes, Zweeti
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Well, gotta take a squizz at this guy, then... Welcome Christelle, by the way...lots of Clogs on here.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Ah, Fergus...you wouldn't, heaven forbid, be blowin' your own trumpet, would you, Christelle? A Clog's English would never be that bad!!! 'Fess up...
fergus
Anonymous's picture
Nope, Eric. It is you who are wrong. The piece in question, I scribbled in a note pad in Geneva. And I typed it out the same way. How about a million dresses, at a buck each? She could afford them. I see your point, but you're not my agent/editor, so you don't have to pat yourself on the back for spotting what you thought was a careless error. It wasn't. The rules of grammar do not have to be adhered to. Ever. Try telling Joyce he'd made a minor error when he came up with, for example, overjoicing. I didn't think the point of this website was to have some obscure editor tell you a word was "wrong." I'm not offended in the slightest, mind. Wait til I start posting some of my odder stuff. (and odder IS a word. At least, it is now.)
pullin the haggis
Anonymous's picture
yes andrea, zweeti = christelle = fergus = wergus = trumpet blower.
Crystal Chandeliere
Anonymous's picture
wel sayed fegrus
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Busted!
robert
Anonymous's picture
damn! i was just working on jean-pierre's accent, too..."as anyone read pomes of robert, e is wonderful pote..."
fergus
Anonymous's picture
thang kyoo a million time. Eric shood reed James Kelman.
K. Y. jean pier...
Anonymous's picture
'as eny one rrread rrroberres po etry? eez wunnerful an e is zuch a good looking man with the body of ercule. damm I av lost my gel
robert
Anonymous's picture
why thank you, KY person whom i do not know at all. and what an exotic email address you have, is there an accompanying website?
fergus
Anonymous's picture
AH, DAMN! I've been RUMBLED!!!! Ok. It's a fair cop, guv. I'll come along quietly etc... Christelle has been consigned to the WPB. Zweeti, however, is real, and living in Belgium. And, I'll admit, an accomplice in my cunning ploy. And I would have got away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids...
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Erm, Fergus, 'overjoicing' is not a grammatical error. You're quite right, of course, grammatical rules don't have to be adhered to - unless you want to get published, that is... And I still don't think Eric meant any offence.
Zweeti
Anonymous's picture
Alors je suis in Belgium!!! And its all true..I read ferguswergus by chance and hes still my hero!! Regards, Zweeti
Crystal Clear
Anonymous's picture
ws beeing ironik also Joice ws Jenius which you knot ericorrect
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Out of the mouths of babes, eh, Fergie? Almost full marks for inventiveness re names though. Next time try (for female Clogs), Reina, Joke (no kidding!), Margo, Jolien, Monica or Marjolein.
robert
Anonymous's picture
welcome fergus, yer daft bugger :-)
fergusthecelt
Anonymous's picture
Andrea - I didn't say 'overjoicing' was a grammatical error. Neither is 'jocoserious', which is what I have been through this thread. I know fine Eric wasn't intending to cause offence. He knows me well enough to understand my jocoserious nature, i think. And I, his. And do you really think getting published depends on grammatical perfection? Read Molly's Soliloquy (sp?), the final chapter of Joyce's Ulysees. You will find no punctuation, and a style which totally ignores the rules of grammer. And it is, in my lowly opinion, one of the greatest pieces of writing ever. i ressed mye kays ********************* ****************** ***smile*** *****
dotty parker
Anonymous's picture
tonstant readerweader fwowed up.
buggerwugger
Anonymous's picture
zweeti - you sound just to good to be true. you remind me of richard w. but that's another curious orange.
Zweeti
Anonymous's picture
Hi again Well speaking as an exiled Geordie, living in Belgium, Im well used to waffles! LOL, Zweeti
zweeti
Anonymous's picture
PS....regarding curious oranges..try reading 'Juice' by polish-mark.....tasty or what! Zweeti
Eric
Anonymous's picture
I like Fergus's epigrammatic critiques of Scottish (and, to a lesser extent, British) values and hypocrisy. However such pieces as the one about Princess Diana and Mother Teresa are spoilt by typos: "dresses" should be "dress". Well done anyway, Fergus. (And yes, I know him, but this isn't a put-up job!)
polish-mark
Anonymous's picture
Thank you Zweeti for my first ever recommendation! (heart begins to flutter wildly) You've made my day...
iFB
Anonymous's picture
is "polish mark" an order?
Liana
Anonymous's picture
hahahahaha!!! Love from Czech Mate
iFB
Anonymous's picture
gets soft cloth and can of mr. sheen just in case ...
si
Anonymous's picture
He is my flat mate and he does need a polish.
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Funny you should mention polish! I've just submitted a piece about the ideal stuff to use! Fancy a buff? http://www.abctales.com/abcplex/viewstory.cgi?s=5861
polish-mark
Anonymous's picture
Thanks spag, could do with a polish. It also refers to the country of my ancestors. Depends what mood I'm in...
ferg
Anonymous's picture
Nnaahh, eric. It was irony Y'see?
fergus
Anonymous's picture
your wit astounds me
Zweeti
Anonymous's picture
Well I say Polish-Mark..you're more than welcome!! Another kindred spirit, eh Ferg? LOL Have a good day! Zweeti
spaghetti_si
Anonymous's picture
Please don't over inflate his ego. Next thing he will go running around my flat screaming " THEY LOVE ME! I AM SO GREAT" etc...
spaghetti_si
Anonymous's picture
Polish_Mark that is
Zweeti
Anonymous's picture
Dear Spaghetti, No prob..he can always run round my place..with or without his orange juice..although he may well have to play 2nd fiddle to Fergus! LOL.....Zweeti
spaghetti_si
Anonymous's picture
Me thinks he would love to run round your place.
Zweeti
Anonymous's picture
So be it!! LOL
spaghetti_si
Anonymous's picture
I'll tell him when he gets back from school. LOL
polish-mark
Anonymous's picture
Zweeti, I would run around your place for eternity, if it would make you smile... Not sure about Fergus though.
Zweeti
Anonymous's picture
Hi Mark, Oohh you go to school too?!!? Do you give me permission to read 'Juice' to my class? They'd love it ..I'msure! As for making me smile, you already have ;-)) Have a good day Zweeti PS Fergus is no problem..he's on shifts!! LOL
fergus
Anonymous's picture
Since I started it,I'd like to declare this thread closed. Unless zweeti and polish mark are busy hanging on to it...LOL And,Eric: you should NEVER say that a particular word in someone's work is WRONG. Nobody can say that as no one can say ANYTHING created by another is wrong. Being a mag editor,you should know this.
Topic locked