Hernia.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hernia.

I'm due to go in for a hernia op. tomorrow and yes I'm worried. Hope I don't catch this PDSA virus. Does anyone out there who's had the same procedure know how long I'll be in?

pdsa? isn't that something to do with the pet dispensary?
My dad had a hernia op last year, went in at 9 am and was home by 5pm. The recovery time at home wasn't too long although he did use it as an excuse not to do household chores for quite a few months as I remember!
Yes I was being silly Camus (when am I not) I of course was referring to Methicillin Resistant Staphyococcus Aureus. Thanks for the info, I thought I might have to stay indoors for weeks.

That'll teach me not to look at the screen when I type, that should read Staphylococcus.

The worst I had happened about three weeks ago. I had a case of double outer ear infection and I had to go into the emergency

Tyler King

I had a hernia operation in about 1985. I was in the hospital overnight, though that might not be necessary nowadays. You will find it difficult to walk for about a week, but you CAN walk the next day. Don't do anything strenuous for several weeks. And most important, make sure you get a couple refill prescriptions for percacet because it will be painful, especially in the morning or after sitting in the same postition for a while. Not hugely painful, but enough to justify the percacets. It is best to keep moving around. In my case, I got a lot of headaches, but that's not normal for most people. I have headaches all the time anyway.
Well I did a runner from the hospital this morning. God the grinding incompetence of the NHS. The Notional Health Service? I was first in Cordwainers ward. Then I was in Kinnell ward (As in 'kinell) and no I was to go to Jex-Blake ward. Told to be there between 2-3 I was finally seen at 7.30m. When the babe of an Asian doctor took my blood she used a surgical glove as a tourniquet, because they didn't have the proper equipment. I was beginning to think of the headline in the local paper that screamed, 'Problem of Superbug at the Royal Free. As I live ten minutes from the hospital, I went home had a meal watched the footy and went back. Oh. My. God! You'd have thought I'd had absconded from prison. "Where have you been?!?" Said the night nurse - I explained - "We don't have your telephone no. address or anything" she said. I said that "You do, I gave all my details earlier to the doctor." "But we don't have your notes" she harumphed. The night doctor came to give me a drip, again used a surgical glove as a tourniquet, he got blood all over his hands it spilled on the sheets. I was beginning to have not second thoughts but third ones. I saw a nurse pick something up from the floor and then deal with a patient without washing her hands. I was kept awake all night by an alarm that kept going off from time to time, but was ignored. Then to be told at 6am this morning that I probably wouldn't have my op. until noon. That was it. I told the nurse that I'd had 2 ops. in that hospital, and was called in at 7am, "That's not the way we do things on this ward." "Okay, take out the drip I said "I'm off." "Oh I'll have to okay it with the doctor" "Take them out now or I will" I said. She took them out. And I scarpered.

Haha...wise move, I would suggest moving to another county avoiding Lincolnshire though where they give you a hefty dose of MRSA and then deny you ever had it and conveniently lose your notes.
Still better than the American system. At least you didn't die or go into $500,000 of debt for a two hour visit.
I have now developed a bruise on my left arm which is now 5in. in diameter which has been caused by Audrey Hepburn Asian look alike doctor, taking blood. Never mind I've been cherry picked. Wuhey!

The bruise on my left arm is now 9 inches long, it looks ghastly but doesn't hurt. If it doesn't look any better in the morning - or worse - I'm going to see the doctor.

Now a foot long. From taking blood?

Do you usually bruise easy, Fatalky?
yeah, it's just blood leaking under the skin from the hole in the vein, it should have healed almost instantly when the needle was removed but if several samples have been taken from the same area rather than the same actual hole you get a collinder effect and the healing takes longer. If you wake up and find you hand is enormous and red like a space hopper filled with ketchup then I suggest you get it lanced and stand well back.. well at arms length at least.
Topic locked