from film script to novel

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
from film script to novel

I put up a post some time ago about writing in film script format and then trying to change it to a novel, as using this structure, i read some were, made life a hell of a lot easier when trying to write a novel. I was just wondering has anyone else tried this and what the outcome was. I tried it recently but i came really blocked up.

Sorry it took me awhile to get to this... I haven't tried it, but have thought about doing it as I lack the discipline to write full-on chapters. Did it make it more difficult for you?
I had a spell of writers block there and put the whole concept aside. I think i confused myself. I took some prose i had written and tried to mix it in with a script, and got all excited thinking yes yes it works, but alas it didn't. And i got right peeved off, but it's back on the back go, oh it works allright but you need to have the right forumla. Let's look more closely at what we're actually doing here. A- how difficult is it to turn novel in to film script, i would say for any half accomplished writer it is a piece of xmas pud and even for those of lesser ability. So why can't the process not be reversed. Oh and it works but the script needs to have qualities most notably you have to the conviction that what you have written on script is what your happy with and then it becoems a piece of candy. A decent films cript is essentially the back bone of a decent novel or novella. I am hopefully finished my first one early this year. I say hopefully looking to the stars. oh, happy holidays

stephen

Oh and there is another neccessary part to making this work and involves a dictaphone and some long early morning walks in the park but essentially it starts with the film script and of cours eif you can do it with feature scrupts hey whya can't you us ethis way to write accomplished short stroys as well but as is aid you need to belive in what your writing first. Big talk considering i have not got any noticable work published but i am working towards completing a project called 'eclipse' with the next one 'sizeomatic' taking shape already . I think writing this way is more creative as they reckon when you write film script syou should be writing 2-4 scripts at the same time and of course if you take in to account what the post is about well hey your coming up with alot of structured writing.

stephen

So in a nut shell. Put what your wanting to write your chapter in script format, all your looking at is setting, character and dialouge.. imagine the chapter in script, its not difficult, at all. Should take you ten minutes if you have the conviction And you believe in what you are writing. Now put it down and tomorrow morning get up early and go for a walk in the park with your dictaphone carrying the script youve written, beleive in it. Now press the dictaphone on and narrate the first chapter using the script as a guidline to the story and surprise your self. stephen_d(c)

stephen

oh and get back to the house rewind the dictaphone and type what you have written then edit and hey whats that they say just another day for dre

stephen

I like the idea about the dictaphone in particular. Ive never been able to use one of those effectively myself. (It seems impossible for me to write anything without a backspace key!) Maybe I should practice more with that. BTW--I really like Steven's story "High Rise". ( I'd be interested in reading the full story some time.) I'll be reading more of this collection today. http://www.abctales.com/node/504238 Were any of Steven's other stories dictated into a recorder, as suggested above? How often does this work? Or is this just one of a bag of techniques you use?
hi cc. Oh, a lot of the work on abc is quite old stuff of mine. No none of it was written with the dictaphone. It is a concept i have just started using. I feel it fits in well with the script to novella formula and of course is technique used. I just like the idea of this, and it is working for me, in the descriptive sense, which is essentially what is missing to complete the script to novella process. I was lucky enough to do hnc in professional writing in glasgow a few years back. The course covered all areas of writing and i would thoroughly recomend to those who want to write for a living to maybe do one of these courses. They cover everything. there are so many techniques to writing aren't there. One persons recipe might not work for another. I suppose the trick might be finding out what they all are and then amking up your own forumal which yoou becoem happy with. i feel this is what i have been striving towards over the last few years and feel it might be starting to pay off. It is learned isn't it. It's just getting out there and finding out how it happens. Thanks for your feedback and flagging up my story. It would be nice if you could put a link to your own work so i could read some, or if you have not posted yet, sit down, relax, and find the inspiration, it is there just around the corner waiting for you.

stephen

typos, my best friend but a friend i am trying to get rid of *gawd*

stephen

Topic locked