The profit on a cigarette break...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
The profit on a cigarette break...

A bit confused by this:
http://www.abctales.com/node/534667

It seems to have been cherry-picked so either both the writer and an ABCtales editor don't know the difference between 'profit' and 'a prophet' or this a really, really clever piece where the character somehow embodies 'profit', or it's a pun.

destination is also mispelled (detination), and "fate is resigned" would normally be, "fate is reserved". It is classified as a story, not poetry, but there are line breaks in the middle of sentences, which makes it at least not a traditional story. I am inclined to believe that at least 'detination' was a mistake (although I suppose it could be play on the word "detonation") , and probably profit. Grammar/spelling errors are distracting, but not 1/10 as distracting as poor execution. The reason I give the author the benefit of the doubt about the story is that there's definitely play going on with our expectations, like, ""Some great things were meant for some great people," would normally be, "some people are meant for greatness," and "fate is resigned", would be "reserved". I think what I like about the piece is the way it combines a candid tone ("I spoke quietly because it was true.") with unpredictable bits like the ones above. c.w.workshop
Thanks guys - would like to say that the typos were due to blinding brilliance, but unfortunately Im just a bad speller. My only excuse is that I wrote it when I was much littler and didnt care for such things as sp - anyway, have amended accordingly
Nothing to be ashamed of. I don't usually worry too much about these kinds of things but thought - as it was in the title - it was probably worth mentionning.

Topic locked