Spectacular Falls

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spectacular Falls

In my "Embarrassing First Dates" threads, Gail (how are you, Gail?) mentioned walking into a bin. And this got me thinking about spectacular falls.

A buddy of mine, Mick, was off to the seargent's mess in Poole for a drink. His wife, Maggie, who once tried to kill him by turning the electric blanket up full blast and chucking a bucket of water over his sleeping form, said, "Whatever you do, don't get into a punch up."

"I won't, Mag, I promise."

He was true to his word.

However, wandering home with a glow on and his hands in his pockets, he trod on a little pebble that put him off balance, causing him to stumble a couple of steps.

Now normally, if you're walking down the road with your hands in your pockets, you can pull them out easy enough. But because he was pissed and because he'd stumbled a couple of steps, he just seemed to be pulling upwards on the lining of his pockets, which caused him to run a few more steps.

He was on a slope.

You know those falls when you keep righting yourself, almost falling, righting yourself, almost falling again and so on?

Well this was Mick, until he eventually found himself ruinning down this hill, completely potatoed, with both his hands in his pockets. He knew he was in trouble but could do nothing about it except to aim for a bit of grass at the bottom.

Which he overshot.

He landed on his face in the middle of the street.

"@!#$ hell. Maggie's going to kill me."

He managed to get his shirt off without getting too much blood on it, and the first words he said to Maggie when she opened the door to him were, "Maggie, I wasn't fighting. Honest."

Maggie, trooper that she is, bent him down over the bathroom sink to clean him up. "Close your eyes," she said. And while Mick had his eyes closed tipped a whole bottle of TCP onto a flannel and slapped it on his grazed face.

True story.

What spectacular falls have you had? Or witnessed.

gail
Anonymous's picture
hello Karl, I'm fine thanks. Thankfully I have managed to avoid walking into bins for some years now. I fell from 7th to 6th floor down a metal fire escape at my job in Japan. It bloody hurt. A creepy teacher who fancied me ran down six flights to retrieve my shoe from the pavement below and then tried to re-enact a scene from Cinderella with me in semi-concussed state. I split my lip open during the fall and suffered for the next couple of weeks as my students thought it was hilarious to try making me laugh which was very painful. I was covered in bruises all over. My most amusing fall looking back, although so so embarrassing at the time was going home from school on one of the old fashioned red double deckers. In my lovely school uniform I was a very shy teenager. Having rung the bell I started walking down the steps from the top deck as the bus swung vigorously round the corner. I landed right on top of the conductor, both of us on the floor of the bus and everyone watching. I was absolutely mortified... I also walked into a great big bushy fir tree by mistake once. Well obviously by mistake. That's another story.
silent but deadly
Anonymous's picture
oh, many.
Fall Sroad
Anonymous's picture
Niagra Angel Four Feather to name but many
Topic locked