Your Favourite Line

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Your Favourite Line

I think I may have done this about a year ago, but it worked then so why not again?

What lines from other ABCtales writer's work has made you sit up and think, "Wow, I wish I'd written that"? What lines made you chuckle? What lines show very clear insight that you wish you yourself possessed? What lines simply grabbed you?

Here's two of my faves:

"Kenny kept secrets from himself." Justyn Thyme (Kenny's Christmas).

"The air smelled different here, so salty I kept thinking I could clench my fists and when I opened them there would be white crystals in my palms." Andrew Pack (Unorthodox World of Mr. Glass).

Which writers have made you sit up with just a single line?

[%sig%]

andrew o'donnell
Anonymous's picture
Same here. And stormy's poem is great, isn't it? Been reading Steve Carroll's (stevepoet) sets recently and there are some great lines here.. Love this.. '...the rain, when it falls, does so gracelessly onto bare pavement, with no idea of the theatre a plastic conservatory roof can create.' All of this poem is great too.. Also like the opening line to Andrew Oldham's net story 'Neuter' too- 'I am addicted to the blood of christ..' Don't think this story is on ABC but a lot of his poems and a novel extract are. If anyone has a link then let me know. Haven't had a gander for a while and a quick search proved fruitless.
brit_grrl
Anonymous's picture
Andrew, you are so right! I thought Cello in particular was finely crafted. Lovely, graceful images and a stunning last line: 'we are only music.' *Do I know you from the ghost of ABC past?*
andrew o'donnell
Anonymous's picture
I had this perhaps strange notion that the actual poem (Cello) was like a bow.. long and thin.. don't know if this was intended but it does really make you think about how important the shape of a poem is, on the page. You may know me, Brit Grrl, just emailed to explain. Everything steve writes is interesting. When I get time I'll print them all off and have a good re-read of them.
neil_the_auditor
Anonymous's picture
"The salmon brains had arrived" From "Mud Pie's Revenge" by Marc Barber. This line doesn't sound exceptional but acts as a hinge for the most unspeakably vile yet hilarious story I've read. It's 18+, should be 58+ and don't read it whilst you're eating! [%sig%]
stormy
Anonymous's picture
I've read many great lines in my time here but the one that sticks in my mind is another from Robert. But since it is the second line of a two line poem I'll have to show you both since Robert doesn't appear to have this anywhere on the web at the moment (I searched) so I can't give you a clicky linky thingy. Parting Thought "When he left her he took not one stick of furniture nor any appliance. He thought it might unsettle the children if things started going missing." So much said in so few words.
Vicky
Anonymous's picture
"Ware has flirted with history on several occasions, but never quite got past the peck on the cheek stage" I love this line from Barenib's Ware Abouts
d.beswetherick
Anonymous's picture
What sprang to my mind immediately was a vivid line from Sooz Simpson's diary entry ("Death of an Ulverston legend"). I've just looked up the line to check I remembered it right - actually I don't so much remember it as *hear* it in my head, in its accent. I've set it in its context, but you'll know which line I'm talking about: Rosie and I despised each other, that woman had more faces than the town hall clock. I went to her once after my husband had beaten me and asked her to help me. That was in the early days. I’ll never forget what she said. “Yer a Whiteside now and there’s no room for soft women in our family. Don’t come t`me bleeding and crying get your soft **** down that roo-ad an wrap a cast iron frying pan round his heed.” I learned to fight like a man and for a long time after that I matched my husband or anyone else who wanted a go punch for punch. Until I woke up dazed and checking my bones one too many times and that’s when I started fearing for my life. It was a terrible way to live, but the family are close and for seven years I was part of that family. I swore after J that no man would ever hit me again and no man ever has. (by Sooz Simpson.) d.beswetherick. [%sig%]
sheepshank
Anonymous's picture
It's the images that stick, with me. There are loads of clear ones that keep popping back into my head, from old cusser's "The Wondrous Babe of Stylos" ... "bicycling plump legs / a comma of gold hair on a brow of pearl" and the perfect last line. Another one that keeps coming back is "four women crammed in a car, wearing hats " from robert's "Wishful Thinking". [%sig%]
brit_grrl
Anonymous's picture
I tend to remember the last one I read. So. It's Stormy's: a word that rhymes with alone. You have to read the whole poem to realize its significance.
Topic locked