Self Publishing Recommendations?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Self Publishing Recommendations?

Myself and a group of members from a mysticism forum would like to publish an anthology of 'awakenings' spanning from childhood through to present day. The idea is that we each contribute tales concerning moments in our lives that changed the we perceive ourselves and the world around us and how they have shaped us into the people we are today.

There's about 20 of us involved and we're going to contribute to the cost of self-publishing. It's quite a varied bunch, from english teachers (which will come in handy) through to high school students.

The aim of the project is purely personal and we'd also like to be able to run off copies at will as gifts to family, friends, etc.

Can anyone recommend a service that will satisfy these needs?

Many thanks

Well obviously there's Lulu, but as it ships from America, it becomes a tad expensive on postage, if you are only printing occasional individual copies... I've tried and failed to find a more local version of Lulu! (i.e. "free" (incorporating costs into price of books) Publish on Demand) - let me know if you have any success in this respect... [[[~P~]]] ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com - latest... "Disappearing Robots")

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

The good thing about Lulu is that it has a HUGE number of visitors every day. If the object is to actually sell a book or two, then this is a benefit. Smaller alternatives would not generate traffic. Sniper's published a book the old-fashioned way (before computers, or something), so he might be able to help.
Lightning Source are one of the companies that actually do the printing for Print on Demand publishers, so if you can do the design stuff yourself, you could go direct to them.

Met a bloke at the weekend who had made himself a book from cafepress.com, it was about £8 with postage, seeemed easy to do and decent enough quality.

BTW, in case anyone's concerned about the quality of Lulu products, I can personally vouch for it being pretty good! I have recently published a one-off autobiography of a friend of a friend, which I ghost-wrote (?), and the printed hardback book was virtually indistinguishable from the "real thing"... (like the sound of that cafépress, though... think I'll check it out...) [[[~P~]]] ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com - latest... "Disappearing Robots")

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Topic locked