Finding An Agent

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Finding An Agent

Is there anyone here that could recomend a good agent? I know I'm not the greatest writer in the world, but I also know I'm better than some of the stuff out there. Yet I can't even get anyone to look at my work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, please check out my short story Death In The Family

I did, in the Writing Tips section, start a thread about Syndication Agents... so would you mind awfully, Agrillo, if I opened up this thread to include such? pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Sure pepsoid
You could do worse than plough through the Writers Year book. Then, find agents who represent writers in a similar vein/genre as yourself. Then, out of them, check which ones aceept unsolicited submissions - usually a couple of chapters and a synopsis. Then, sit back and wait forever. I'm at it meself; I've got one agent reading my manuscript (by request) but it's a slow game. Good luck, and be tenacious.
Thanks, Agrillo... ;-) Josiedog... Haven't looked at a copy of WAY for a while... Do you know if it specifically lists syndication agents or would I just have to trawl through the entire "Agents" chapter? pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

Peps, what's a syndication agent? Does this make me sound stupid?
I thinkpeps meant genre Josiedog This site also lists agents http://www.bloomsbury.com Craig
Is that right? Well, what you can do is google it, literary agent and - whatever, sci/fi for instance, then check the names in the book. Cross reference, check their rep.
"Peps, what's a syndication agent?" Something I've only just found out about myself, Josie... Thought I'd mentioned 'em in "Writing Tips," but can't find the topic now! Anyway, having just read Adele Ramet's "Creative Writing," she is apparently someone who primarily earns her living writing short stories - a rare thing amongst writers! She mentioned these things called "Syndication Agents," apparently being agents (surprisingly enough) who will syndicate individual short stories to numerous markets... presumably so that, if you are a prolific writer of such, you don't have to necessarily rely on publishing collections to make any worthwhile amount of money. I am yet, however (partially due to laziness), to actually find any! pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

Phew, that's a relief! I'd never heard of syndication agents either, so was wondering if I needed one. But I am not (and probably never will be) a prolific writer.
Cheers for that, it's a new one to me, but I will now keep me eyes/ears open, and let you know if I turn anything up.
Ta, Josie! ;-) And if anyone else has heard of them and knows any good 'uns, drop us a post... ;-) pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

Ah all is explained, me and my assumptions, but they know what they say about assume. (ASS out of U an ME). Don't know of any peps but if I find any I'll let you know. Adete could have at least mentioned how you meet these people though! Craig
Indeed, Craig! It was a good book as a sort of "refresher" on the basic stuff, but she doesn't actually explain very much... Perhaps I should go straight to the horse's mouth and try to contact Adele directly... pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

Topic locked