Drowning in talent!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Drowning in talent!

I have loved writing since god knows when and so when i found out about this site i thought yay finally a chance to write for poeple other than my close family and friends! So away I went wrote my little bit's and bob's and then i strated to read other peoples work and suddenly everything i wrote seemed quite, well, crasp in comparison! I mean to be honest i write the stuff in the site instead of uploading it ( actually i uploaded my stories but the poems were written in the site) and due to my one hour cut off time i wrote them quickly but still, i felt infreior, there is such talent in these sites, (and some crap but enough about me (*_*) ) especially when i persuadd a friend to post some stuff (deepthought!) and was mortified to see how talented he was, never the less i will conitnue writing, i have just finished my first novel so i've gone too far to give up now! anyway, i'm sure there was a point to this when i started....umm..keep up the good work people, i enjoy reading stuff here as it's cheaper than buying a book (*_*) and i assure i write better tahn i type!!!

W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
Yes, I often look at my photograph album. The photographs, (my rectangular liitle Madeleines), trigger Proustian memories. I am particularly fond of those photographs taken at my Fifteenth Book Launch at Dillstones. There were many old friends of mine there, mostly highly talented, creative people, like myself. Among the musicians backing me for my Funk/Rap/Slam numbers were James Fenton and the Fentones, Simon Armitrading and 'Shakin' Wallace Stevens. Anna Akhmatova, Osip Mandelstam and Yevgeny Yevtushenko amused everyone when they formed an impromptu Pop/Dance group, 'Steppes.' And look? here's me with Elvis Priestly.
Diana Bird
Anonymous's picture
Most writers think they are inferior I agree. It is though a natural part of the writing process. You are creating something and writing is very exposing.
Carly - Wild Ci...
Anonymous's picture
Hi Cassie: Well, it's nice to meet you - but I think we've already met, haven't we? I seem to recall seeing you on my own online workshop recently - am I right about that? I thought I'd come into these recent postings here - there's a fight going on at one of the larger ones. LOL! What can you do - it's like walking into a party - nobody turns around to say oh, hi, how are ya ... they just get their claws right into each other ... Well, I only have one thing posted - I'm not sure if I did it under my name - Carly Svamvour - or just used Wild City Woman. I'll go looking for you too. Carly :-)
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Nadia, that's so well said - I hate saying it too - but there is a lot of junk being published out there - some of the things you read 'talk a lot and say nothing', y'know ... Well, I'm a refugee from Themestream - latest joke on the net, eh? But I'm not worried about it going down - we knew it was going to happen - I made a few bucks there and it looked good in my bank account. But even on there - I wish they'd kept some kind of quality control - something that really ticked me off was when I saw people just filling their posts with nothing more than repetitive soap opera - and what really got me was a all the replies they got - lots of rates, in other words - when that's happening? You know there's a 'mutual click admiration society'. There were a lot of good writers there though - some great poets. Well, it's nice to meet you here. Carly :-)
Zambesi
Anonymous's picture
Carly my dear, One person's goldmine is another person's garbage can! One person's Shakepeare is anothers graffiti artist!
Nadia Jeffreys
Anonymous's picture
Dear Cassiopeia Isuopose it depends what your objectives are when you write. If you do it to be published, then just look about you at the crap that IS published. A lot of it is there because the writer is a "Personality" or "Celebrity" and it has bery literary merit. So, leaving aside talent, being published can have more todo with luck! If on the other hand you write because you love it, then who cares what other people think and don't be put off by comparison to others. Once you start comparing yourself to someone else, I guarantee you will always come off worse! Goodluck regards Nadia
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Thank you so much for your wise words - I'm really enjoying myself on this site - hope you'll go look at my work :-)
the great combusto
Anonymous's picture
i'm talented in drowning yet not in writing
Topic locked