"Northern Soul"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Northern Soul"

Northern Soul

There. I wasn't too lazy. Although it's been cherry-picked since I last saw it, so it's no longer my discovery.

Not your run-of-the-mill memoir. Reminded me of Nell Dunn's 'Up The Junction' - the rebel boyfriend, the alcohol and the working class dejection.

Hox
Anonymous's picture
I really liked this, a shame there is only one other piece by Marnie - same gritty style. Good discovery Hen.
markbrown
Anonymous's picture
I thout that this was ridiculously good, and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. The bit about the smell of wet leather and benson's is wonderful... AND we have far too few stories about Northern Soul on site.... I absolutely F**king loved this *spins on heels, goes down into splits, the back up again, his knee smeared with chalk, all the while moving with the beat*
chant
Anonymous's picture
yes, a thoroughly engaging piece of work. more from marnie!! one tiny change i'd make: "Ricky vanished halfway through the fifth year, and Andy told me that he’d heard that he had gone to HM Glen Parva, borstal." the build up of 'thats' and 'he hads' towards the end of the sentence has a slightly jarring effect, not at all in keeping with the level of control exercised in the rest of the piece. suggest: "Ricky vanished halfway through the fifth year. According to Andy, he had gone to HM Glen Parva, borstal."
freda
Anonymous's picture
or " Ricky hadn't in fact vanished, but just gone away somewhere."
Marnie
Anonymous's picture
Wow. Not often I post on these forums, althought I do a lot of reading. Thank you for the reaction - it's a lovely warm glowy feeling to see that you like it - nobody I know knows that Marnie writes. Chant you are right about that wording, it does jar, and I will change it, so thank you too.
Topic locked