novel-writing software

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
novel-writing software

has anyone tried this yet? sounds impressive, but is it useful?

weekend_warrior
Anonymous's picture
It's preposterous to even begin to imagine that some of you have bought or were even considering to buy "Novel writing softwares". The real novel writing software is inside your skull - the soft folding cerebral tissues. But if at all you need help with structure and what really lies at the heart of the story - i would recommend "Story: Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting" by Robert McKee an industry standard reference book which is intended primarily for screenwriters but is useful for anyone who wishes to grasp the dynamics of story-telling if there is one for that matter!
CamF
Anonymous's picture
"All my characters are charted on a simple spreadsheet, section by section showing the entire progression and plot lines throughout from beginning to end. If I click on a specific sections cell, I jump to the Access database for the details of that section. This way, I can keep everything under one roof and correctly linked. With long books, it can become difficult to keep track of every little detail. Plus when you change one thing here it may have an effect elsewhere, this way I can track every section of a novel for changes." This is an excelent idea. I have yet to try it on my own work but I have read about using spread sheets and db's for writing and it seems very logical... I will have to test this out. And what's so bad about Word? Works great for me. Spell check is all you need =)
Widget
Anonymous's picture
I agree with Shrug about everyone's apparent negative attitudes, of course each to their own as the saying goes, one man's meat and all that but hold your breath everyone, there is another alternative that gives you a little more space to manoevre. Ever tried WriteItNow by Ravenshead services. That is a bit cheaper alternative perhaps and you can maintain contact with the creators, Robin Walton. They sent me a beta update version for free as once you are registered, you get updates. In fact they are working on a screenwriting software at the moment or certainly planning it. I don't go a bundle in jumping around from Access to the other. There is of course Outline in Word if people prefer to be homespun. It is all a question of taste.I enjoy both New Novelist and the other.If anyone wants the website for the other, it is www.ravensheadservices.com. Click on the left hand side then run mouse down to the form, fill it in[that is if you are interested of course] print it and send off with your remittance. You will receive a disk and a letter with your code but once you get to know the setup, you can then make up your own attributes or pinch a few ideas of Newnovelist, assuming you have not said good bye to it in the Recycle bin. It would do for starters until you can as Ken Dodd would say, tickle your brains with a tickling stick and do your own. Hope that helps . Regards Widget
JJGeen
Anonymous's picture
I've spent hours trying to find what's right for me. At the dump yesterday I missed - Wizards For Word by Recipes for word, Paul O'Niell- Someone threw it out and I got there just too late. If you like word this program does everything that Wizard of Words does and much much more - I could kick myself for missing this Microsoft Word Add on. I works with E whites - elements of style, brushing up your words as you plod along and polishing your prose. It also formats every possible form of writing - ready for publication, and much much more. The MS word lovers will simply love this software. But I nead help organizing my thoughts and structuring my novels due to too much drugs my memory is not as sharp as it should be. Newnovelist does the trick for me and has done the same for tonns of aspiring writers who just need that little extra assistance. So maybe we are a little retarded but when those checks keep coming, I have only one simple software package to thank and its Newnovelist. Try telling a raggs to riches guy any thing different! [%sig%]
jonsmalldon
Anonymous's picture
In a fit of desperation I bought some called "New Novelist" largely because I thought, if nothing else, it would to help me with structure and coherence (cos I normally ramble all over the place). It cost £29.99 from Amazon. I must have used it for about five minutes before giving up, which probably comes to about £250 per hour.
Bluemonday
Anonymous's picture
At the risk of sounding considerably older than my 20-odd yrs, I am naturally suspicious of any gadgetry claiming to make your job easier. At the Uni I work in, there are colleagues who extol the vitues of software that analyses data and paaterns from interviews. Why not analyse the data using your own brain? I did look at the software, but its benefits appeared limited, and the effort required to learn all the bells and whistles just wasn't worth making. Anyway, back to novels...I'd be dubious. Surely its best to sit with a pen and paper (or in front of a screen) and write what comes naturally. The only software you need is wordprocessing. Novel-writing software would make me far too self-concious about my writing style.
Janice
Anonymous's picture
I am wondering what is (all) the difficulties/problems with this software. I am looking to purchase a software for structure, assist in plotting structure as well as other things. Can anyone tell me of a good software that I can use if not this one.
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
There's hardly a shortage of novels in the world. If you can't write one, don't. There's lots of other things to do with your life,
markbrown
Anonymous's picture
We were just having a conversation in the office about this today. Can you teach writing? Is there a formula? It's such a good question I think I'll start a thread in general discussion about it. Novel writing software? How the devil does that work? Please, I really don't know, I sort of imagine a great big whirring thing with cylinders and great brass print blocks on poles that wirl and spin into different conjunctions. If you can get THAT for £29.99 I'll have one. I suspect the reality may be more mundane...
jonsmalldon
Anonymous's picture
It was sh1t. As I say I was desperate (young, needed the money that sort of level really) as I can put together different scenes pretty well but could do with a more structured mind when it comes to linking everything and keeping an eye on the big picture. So I thought - well if nothing else it will enable me to store everything in one place and keep me focused. The layout was like the Windows Explorer thingy with a list of folders down the side and a larger screen next to it with a list of files and also some commands about what you should have done. So if you decided your novel was an 'Epic' (there were only about 3 options) it would tell you that in the relevant sections you should have done X, Y and Z. And so on. I looked at it for a few minutes. Tried to put something into one of the boxes. It didn't like it, I turned it off and have no idea where the CD is now. Absolute rubbish.
radiodenver
Anonymous's picture
For the books I have in progress, I find that keeping track of everything with a Spreadsheet and a Database work just fine. For plotting, I create a database that shows each section of the book, it's main characters and the various plot goals for that section. I created this from scratch using Microsoft Office. I probably have as much support information as I have actual writing. All my characters are charted on a simple spreadsheet, section by section showing the entire progression and plot lines throughout from beginning to end. If I click on a specific sections cell, I jump to the Access database for the details of that section. This way, I can keep everything under one roof and correctly linked. With long books, it can become difficult to keep track of every little detail. Plus when you change one thing here it may have an effect elsewhere, this way I can track every section of a novel for changes.
gail
Anonymous's picture
thanks for the feedback Jon. I was also hoping it might help with structure. I have never attempted a novel but have this fear that you could waste a lot of time if it wasn't structured properly. Will stick to the short stories for now.
Brownie_1
Anonymous's picture
I bought this novel soft ware - I'd say save your money, if your like me the handful of books I already possess have as much help if not more... Na its of no use at all... Spend it on brown envelopes, stamps and paper for your manuscripts, well thats my advice anyway Jan
Phoenix Grrl
Anonymous's picture
Microsoft Word and a nice big ringbinder are all one needs. There all I have, of and some lined paper next to my bed so when I wake up at the wee hours of the morning with an idea I can jot them down.
Stephen
Anonymous's picture
There's a fairly thorough list of novel writing packages here: http://www.writersservices.com/wsres/r_writers'%20software.htm and a couple of reviews which explain how they work. To me, the Writers Blocks thing sounded great but when I tried it out I just found it really frustrating. Might work for you tho'
Murph
Anonymous's picture
I was excited to find some kind of tools to use. Then I came upon this site. I have read all that is writen, I am lost. You all have a system of some kind and seem to like your way the most over the software. When I try to imagine what or how you do your system, I fall deeper into space. Is it that the tool is fine or no better than home made? Is it the price for somthing that no one tried to understand for more than five minutes? I am looking for a system. If your not up to speed with Microsoft Office or the binder, what is recomended? I have only one answer so far. Just make one up...gail wrote:
Shrug
Anonymous's picture
Frankly, I'm a little surprised at the negative vibe from this thread. No where did the software say it would write your novel. It's just a little peice of software to help you organize your thoughts. 29 bucks is less than the cost of a night out for a movie. If you feel more at home writing on a chalkboard, use that. If your computer friendly, look for a software your willing to learn. If your a programmer, write your own. This isn't a miracle solution, just one of many possibles.
Topic locked