letters to agents

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
letters to agents

after reading the thread about agents below.. i took a look at the writer's handbook website.. and they all ask for a preliminary letter.. i'm awful at writing these kinds of letters.. what are you supposed to write in them? are there sites that help with that sort of thing?

juniper
Anonymous's picture
Is it possible to get an advance for a first novel, or should it be completed when submissions are made to agents? I am a quarter of the way through and just want ot devote all my time to finishing the book -- but full time work is seriously getting in the way! Any suggestions welcome. Also I live in North Wales (close to the border) -- anyone know of any stimulating writer's groups who offer constructive criticism?
Rachel
Anonymous's picture
I'd say write a really simple letter and then give them a separate biography and synposis (synopsis should be about 2-3 pages.) Andrea probably has better advice. Or else call / email them first and ask what they are looking for.
spag
Anonymous's picture
What my agent wanted was a single page synopsis and the first three chapters. She said publishers decide on the first three chapters whether to bin it or not. The synopsis is only important to them so that they get a feeling of said novel. So you should write a letter with a synopsis and don't make it too long and then send first three chapters of your novel to him/her. Spag
Rachel
Anonymous's picture
Spag - does it matter how long the first three chapters are? Mine are really short. Thanks Rachel
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
The leter is important too. That's the bit I'm good at - I got replies saying: 'great letter, crap book!' Just tell them a bit about yourself, why you write and what the overal theme of the book is about. My letter was 2 sides of A4 and they all looked at the book. Shame about that.
drew gummerson
Anonymous's picture
Did you ask them then if they wanted to represent you as a letter writer? Or you could write a book of letters... I wrote very short letters. I hate advertising myself. I never had any luck with agents - none of them have ever wanted to look at my stuff. I've found a solution though. I don't send stuff off any more. Haven't done for years. Hehe... but that's probably not very good advice, is it?
spag
Anonymous's picture
Hi Rachel. It doesn't matter about the length. But i'll ask Cassie, My agent, if I can ever get her on the damn phone. Short chapters shouldn't matter. As long as you get a feel for the nvoel as a whole and the characters come to life early on. But i'll get back to you on that.
nancy
Anonymous's picture
thanks everyone.. i was actually going to write to agents who actually deal with poetry as a start.. but thanks for the advice :)
tony_dee
Anonymous's picture
Tony C :-)
Steven Johnson
Anonymous's picture
there's some great tips for writing letters and submitting your work to publishers at http://www.bloomsbury.com/WritersArea/default.asp
tony_dee
Anonymous's picture
Cheers Steven, that's a useful site
Topic locked