The Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman

Has anyone else read this? I can't beleive it's a kids books, I guess maybe the proper term is young adult

It was very very good, great characters and dialogue and I was genuinly scared at times

andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Pullman is quite vocal on this, saying that writing in the 'children's' genre allows him to write about the big themes, love,loss, good, evil, innocence, God - which you simply can't write about in 'adult' novels. He has something of a point - most heavyweight adult fiction these days tends to be about mid-life crises and a sense of dislocation (ie more like OK Computer than the Bends...) It's a bloody good read and Lyra is so much more convincing than other heroes/heroines of the genre - but just wait till you read the Lee Scoresby bit in Subtle Knife!
Vicky
Anonymous's picture
It's on order don't you worry
Dan
Anonymous's picture
I read these books about two years ago (and again this spring) and adore them to pieces. The very worst bit, I recall, was waiting for Amazon to deliver the next one. There is apparently a film being made by New Line which sounds like an awful idea to me (unless they let Hayao Miyazaki do it).
Topic locked