"Come down off the cross, we could use the wood."
Skydolphin, he wasn't talking about Jesus. He was saying concentrate on the practicalities when you're playing the martyr.
I also like: "I don't have a drinking problem - except when I can't get a drink"
[%sig%]
I could live with the rich as they are just greedy b******s and make no shame in this fact
I could live with the poor as they are quite aware of there situation and either accept it or get out and do something about it.
But the middle classes, i could not live with these people as they are a bunch of charaltans, tricksters and fakesters who can neither claim to be rich nor poor but bask in some kind of false pretence that they are the rightful middleground when in fact all they do is bleat on and on and on and make absouletly no positive contribution to society..
show me someone from the UK middle classes who has ever done anything positive for the world
stephen_d
ebb and flow
From the flowing of the tide
To its ebbing
From the waxing of life
To its waning
Of your peace provide us
Of your light lead us
Of your goodness give us
Of your grace grant us
Of your power protect us
of your love lift us
And in your arms accept us
From the ebbing of the tide
To its flowing
From the waning of life
To its waxing..
sorry i love this and its one of my favourite quotes, poems whatever.
A comment from Lama Yeshe in 'The Tantric Path of Purification':
"Why are we bored, lonely and lazy? Because we don't have the will to totally open our hearts to others. If you have the strength of will to totally open your heart to others, you will eliminate laziness, selfishness and loneliness. Actually, the reason you get lonely is that you are not doing anything. If you were busy, you wouldn't have time to get lonely. Loneliness can only enter an inactive mind. If your mind is dull and your body inactive, then you get lonely. Basically, this comes from a selfish attitude, concern for yourself alone. That is the cause of loneliness, laziness and a closed heart."
S.d ..it is a beautiful prayer
This one by Saint Francis never fails me;
Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace:
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.
O, Divine Master:
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.
Judy Finnegan to the young Lesbian Student auctioning her body for sex to pay for her university fee's
Actually i can't remember the exact words but i'm sure it was something like this
"Your sexuality and lifestyle is such,that you have choosen Women to be your friends."
I love the psalm that Iris Murdoch reads out at one of her lectures, aka Judi Dench in Iris - psalm 139
Whither shall I go from thy spirit....
can't quote her words exactly as my version of the big B is not the same, haven't got the book of common prayer in the house. Have you Jude?
To Einstiens famous quote "God does not play dice." (see quantum physics thread masqerading as pi thread), Niels Bore supposedly replied "Do not tell god what to do."
mm I like this... kind of a family motto
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference
Book of Common Prayer is actually a Church of England prayer book so I don't have a copy...Not that I don't love my Cof E brothersand ssters...seeing as my Mum, Dad, and all 4 Grandparent have all been or still are Anglicans.
The problem is when you fall in love with one translation...you can be a bit hostile to others...and there are many. i used to have a knox which is in my opinion the best but out of print. I curently use a King James and the translation is
Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
Sorry to be pedantic but just so that people don't think that Alfred and Niels were discussing how God passed his weekends. The quote was
"God does not play dice with the Universe."
a reference to the apparent randomness of Quantum theory (which Planck invented/discovered and Einstein elaborated) which suggested that the Universe was essentially unpredictable and that even God could not be certain of the future.
God does not play dice with the universe. He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time. (Terry Pratchett)
Pages