Top Tip - avoiding cliche

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Top Tip - avoiding cliche

I reckon the one thing that will improve anyone's writing straight away is if they read through what they've just written and see if any of it sounds familiar.

Myself, I strive constantly to write sentences which say something in a new way. I would never want to describe coffee as 'muddy', the sea as 'glittering', my heat as 'breaking', eyes as'twinkling', sky as 'clear', skn as 'soft' etc etc.

We don't realise how many of our words are linked together through familiar patterns. It is always disappointing to read something that uses familiar links of words. It's like the writer hasn't spent the time thinking enough, or is happy enough to let other people do the describing for him/her.

I meant my 'heart' not my 'heat'. Sorry.
i think what you say is so true and what seperates out good writing from the mediocre, there is rarely anything completely original to write about but it is how you say it that makes it new and fresh. i will work harder in this and seek out cliches in my own writing, cheers. Juliet

Juliet

My Top Tip would be to try and avoid over-writing. That’s my worse sin – overwriting. I can’t seem to stop putting in way too many words absolutely everywhere and in every direction, all over the place, when it’s only really necessary to put in just a few, you know a couple or so, i.e. not so many. I overwrite constantly. Honestly I really do. You’d never guess it, but I do. (Just edited out 500 words)
Sometimes I don't say enough. :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Interesting thoughts, Spart... I suppose leading from your suggestions, one could further suggest that a creative challenge and a plunger to unblock Writer's Block (as it were) could be to write about those things about which we feel most uncomfortable... or even disgusted by... or embarrassed by... :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

I think anyone is entitled to offer advice about writing. Whether anyone chooses to take it or not is a different matter! As it happens, Sparty, your above postings have inspired me to start thinking, "What are the creative possibilities of bodily functions?" So you see, your advice is indeed worthy! As far as Writer's Block is concerned, I feel it is a very real and substantial affliction, which ought to be treatable on the NHS... :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

Masturbation? Beautiful? Write me a poem about it and I might be convinced... :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

The seed is commencing germination in my subconscious at the present, but rest assured you will be the first to know when this outporing occurs! :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
"[masturbation is the] most beautiful act one can indulge in when alone" Yes, of course. Beauty is only truly appreciated in solitude, or in the mindset of solitude. Any other appreciation is false and diluted by the eyes of others - subverting one's own mind and attitudes. Sexually, one is only truly free during solo masturbation, any other form of sex is enhanced in by someone else, yes, but also diluted in its purity, and therefore, its beauty.
Ummmmm!
...I fear Pelbea has indulged... :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

Topic locked