uncle reggies study room by shoebox

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
uncle reggies study room by shoebox

http://www.abctales.com/story/shoebox/uncle-reggies-study-room

Wise words that will resonate with many on here. In the last two years since i started writing again regularly with a hunger to be published, i have never felt so low and wretched and so full of self doubt.

Obviously not all of the time but a huge proportion of my thinking is taken up with preoccupations that i am a crap writer and will never improve. Some famous writer once wrote (help can anyone supply the name - definetly female) that the key to writing is to do it everyday in neither joy nor despair.

I try.

Juliet

"We were staying with him a few days at his nice cottage near Scarborough, on the North Sea." Without wishing to sound too pedantic, this does give one the impression that Uncle Reggie's cottage had an awful damp problem...
Come now, it says the cottage is near Scarborough, not actually in the sea. Or do you know something that I do not about that area? Do all the cottages around the world (Long Island, Hawaii, the Hebrides, etc.) have dampness problems? Anyway, you did respond, did you not? Luck to you.
To Juliet, nothing, you will learn if you have yet to, is easy. If you truly like writing, do not despair but continue. Maybe those who give it up too soon did not truly like/love it as needed. Just a thought.
hi juliet hope you don't mind but i edited out your hyphens ... they made the title all long and unbending and it cocked up the formatting cheers fish
thought it looked better:) Juliet

Juliet

'In the last two years since i started writing again regularly with a hunger to be published, i have never felt so low and wretched and so full of self doubt. ' May I suggest a few things to help this malady. A nice hot mug of tea and some hot buttered toast always helps. The toast should be made with Warburton's 'Milk Roll' and it should be enjoyed on your balcony and in your garden on a sunny day. Remind yourself that we write to tell other people about our glimpses of the divine in our terrestrial landscape and yet that world, that landscape remains whatever success we may or may not have. Reconnect with the world. Make it your ambition not that you get published but that you reach a state where your earthly success neither does or doesn't matter. Carpe Diem and then have another cup of tea. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Blimmin' 'eck, that was a bit heavy, weren't it? Short and to the point though, and can but agree. In my experience, if you write you write, you're stuck with it, and so you go on. I've had a shit time with it this year though and a gun would be simpler.
It does say near Scarborough. Which the sea is. It also says on the sea. As in boat. Just sounded an odd turn of phrase. There. pedantry over. :)
Dear andrewjames: An important tales figure suggested I attach 'coast'. So there it is, North Sea coast. I am happy with it. You all are nice folks.
I think "house on the sea" is a reasonably common phrase, correct or not. In quotes, about 11,100 Google hits, though I suppose that includes ones that say "house on the sea front" etc. http://naptime500.blogspot.com
Vallery, You are kind to have looked this up. Thanks for your interest.
Topic locked