How?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
How?

Help, please!

I am a college grad. w/a major in English and minor in Journalism. Published w/writing and photography.

I am a "colorful" writer, very descriptive, but lack - I guess the motivation/drive needed to become a true columnist. I mean, hey - I even had my own column in my University's student newspaper. So I can meet deadlines.

I need or want an editor, I guess but prior to getting a column in a magazine they want more experience I guess.

Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Judy

Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Judy, Try approaching some websites who run the sort of columns you'd like to write. There are lots of people out there crying out for content - particularly if you're prepared to write for free (which is a whole other debate - I tend to write for free only if a site has no money, covers a subject that really interests me and - usually - is prepared to pay 'in kind' by providing free books/record/geek toys to review - although I think writing for free is something you have to make your own rules for) That aside, writing for the internet can be lucrative - I used to make about £500 for 3 hours work at a weekend doing subbing, commissioning and writing for a website. Hope this helps Cheers Emily
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Did you, Emily? Blimey! Pass on the site, will you? :-)
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
If the work was still there, I'd still be doing it myself :-) This was 5 years ago when companies were spending a fortune on their websites - but there is still money out there. I think seethru.co.uk pay for columns - they were a couple of months ago but I can't find the e-mail to give you the details - try http://www.seethru.co.uk/contribute.htm for more info (it's not updated at the moment but I'd imagine they'll put info there first) Digital Eve (www.DigitalEveUK.org ) are looking for stuff at the moment - tech features targeted at women - but don't pay - and http://www.zingin.com are looking for consumer oriented tech stories, but again, don't pay. However, they are all lovely people so it's worth getting involved just for that, if you're technically inclined. As a guide, the average sort of payment for web stuff I've seen ranges from £25 to £150 per article. If I see any more opportunities (particularly paying) online, I'll post them here. Cheers Emily
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
Look no further than your own front door, Andrea! Web design companies in Amsterdam are desperate for native-speaker writers. There's also a website showcasing UK editors but I'm not sure which - have to ask around.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Ta, Mandy, will look into it...
Topic locked