The Profit - Kahlil Gibran

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Profit - Kahlil Gibran

Having finally got around to reading The Profit, under the mistaken illusion that everyone should do so once in their lifetime, I'm puzzled by the section on marriage.

When asked about marriage, Almustafa declares:

"Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God. But let there be spaces in your togetherness. And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love. Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf."

Is the Profit advocating adultary?

Liana
Anonymous's picture
no.. saying dont stifle each other. have your own space and interests. the couple that do everything together have f.uck all to talk about, in other words. very wise.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
and its the prophet, not the profit.... though maybe he made so much money out of the book he changed its name....
fish
Anonymous's picture
see rilke for more about being the guardians of one another's solitudes ...
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Was going to reply but Liana took the words right out of my fingers...
funky
Anonymous's picture
"The Prophet" - by Kahlil Gibran. Is a fine piece of work. It helped me through a difficult time in my life a few years ago. Helped me put things in the right perspective. His paintings are amazing too.
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Thanks Liana, You never fail to give me a little chuckle when you pick up on my spelling mistakes.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
me thinks you have been a salesman too long Karl... maybe that was it....
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Far too long.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
It was the book that Elvis Presley was reading at the time of his death and I always believed it drove him to suicide!
Topic locked