RE: The Poet In The Twenty-First Century

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: The Poet In The Twenty-First Century

Well, I read the piece and it is no doubt erudite enough. Still it read to me like a manifesto for navel gazing. I haven't written a poem for years, and I only read poetry if it is short, punchy, and, above all, funny. What is the point of poetry? Do you know what poetry is like? Poetry is like those guys that walk at the Olympics; I spend the whole time wondering why anyone should adopt a posture so laboured in order to achieve something which very few people understand or care about.
There you have it: a prosaic cat amongst the poetic pigeons!

Hi Kropotkin38. I think you might be right about the notion that modern poetry is more navel gazing than epic. On the other hand, those walkers aren't unlike penguins who are rather cute and not less interesting than polar bears, although from opposite terrestrial poles. I would suggest, if one has the mind for it, that poetry can achieve far more far quicker than prose. I find that poetry accelerates in a way that prose really can't. Once they're in the water, penguins are far more adept than bears, even polar ones. Most people will always enjoy the bears more, and aren't really interested in diving much below the surface.

Ross McCague

Topic locked