Mentor

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mentor

Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum but ill place it here for now.

Im looking for a mentor, and im not exactly sure where to search so thought i would drop by here. Maybe for advice, maybe to see if i can find someone who would like to BE my mentor!

I look forward to responses...

Lizz

Mentor for what?

To guide me through my writing process as I write my novel. 

Writing a novel is an underestimated undertaking.  Can I suggest that it would be better to write short pieces and learn the best way to go about the process in discrete, unrelated episodes.  That way different aspects of writing craft could be the focus?

There's no way that I would volunteer to mentor someone through the whole process of writing a novel and frankly that is an unrealistic expectation/request.  I haven't even written one myself.  However I would be prepared to offer an opinion on your writing but you must bear in mind the codicil that appears on my own front page.

Send me 500 words that you are happy with and I'll take a look if you're still interested.

I will send 500 words yes thank you, where is the codicil on your front page? I cant find anything. 

Here it is:

scratch
I am an unpublished amateur. 

ok sent across, thank you

I haven't received anything? 

Strange, i sent it again...

Ohno..... 1st Lesson....

ALWAYS have a duplicate document - one that will loyally be there for you, go the extra mile and never run off to unknown places without notice!  wink

Peter's advice is very solid and he is guiding you to not only use this site, but to do so in a manner that will certainly aid your cause as well as provide us (potential readers) with a solid grasp of your objectives and talent... Good Luck

Music, I have still not recieved anything from you.  It is not possible to attach a document via the contact button that the site provides.  You must send an initial mail message to me without attempting to attach a document.  Then I will contact you.

Sent a test message again.

I have just pasted the words into the contact box and sent it, i dont understand why it isnt reaching you...ive not attached any document...! my email adress is lizzbrady@hotmail.co.uk if it will be easier to do it that way, i even ticked 'send a copy to my adress' and i recieved that ok...

I completely lack the imagination to write a novel, so I’ve no right to comment on this thread at all. However, for what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s a mentor you need otherwise you’d have joined a local Creative Writing class and would spend every Tuesday night round the local Scout hall or Fuscia’s house (they’re always called Fuscia, aren’t they?) reading your last week’s assignment to bunch of precious would-be writers.

Anyway, writing a novel is an incredibly complex achievement, and huge respect to all you writers out there for your outstanding, far-fetched, comical, sometimes brutal, often ludicrous and downright fab imaginations. I have never, ever written fiction in my life because I completely lack the artistry, yet there are so many writers on ABCtales who allow their imaginations to fly, build a plot, build a sub-plot and continue to write superb story lines in that fashion.

I honestly wouldn’t know where to start, but there are a tremendous amount of people whose minds must be bubbling over with adventures, fantasies, potboilers and cliff-hangers. My only advice would be to go to on Amazon, pick a few novels of the kind you intend to write and read the reviews. That will give some idea as to what works and what doesn’t, to what a reader’s looking for and what leaves him cold.

There are plenty of great writers who’ll review your own work, and you’ll get good advice from Scratch, but I think a mentor is possibly the wrong

As an example, although these might not be the best, are recent reviews of my own. However, you'd probably be better off searching out those book bloggers and reviewers who have a lot more time to devote to this kind of thing than me;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3IYOT68EX5CXI/ref=cm_cr_p...

Thank you Karl :) i will take all that on board. 

Music, I got the mail.  For some reason it got plonked in my spam folder.  I'll review what you sent over the weekend.  Sorry for the hassles.

Ah ok no prob. Thank you very much speak soon