North of Nowhere by Clifford Thurlow

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
North of Nowhere by Clifford Thurlow

http://www.abctales.com/story/clifford-thurlow/north-of-nowhere

What i really like about this story is the characters, who though they are easily recognisable as stereotypes, still have individual characteristics, which makes me want to read about them. I really liked the weaving of the two scenes and the great attention to detail, e.g. how their names fit together. The narrator's awakening is well handled with lots of 'show', and it has a really completed feel to it.

However the very end disapointed me, not seeing the roller, or what Sally was doing, but his reacion to it was unrealistic, imo. I don't think the ending needs to be so dramatic, as the point of the piece in many ways is the narrators egocentric attitude.

And a minor point some of the prose was a little too flowery, particularly his description of Sally and the self concious ref to feeling poetic, which jars.

But overall an excellent plot, handled brilliantly.

Juliet

Clifford Thurlow Appreciative of Juliet's comments, especially regarding the ending. Two aspects of short story writing are hard: beginnings and endings. We must all always look at them again and again.

Clifford Thurlow

Topic locked