Intellectuals Murdering People For Fun

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Intellectuals Murdering People For Fun

True Stories and Other Murder Trials About Intellectuals Murdering People
For Fun.

In 1924, in Chicago, two rich students, Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb killed a neighbouring student, Bobby Franks, for fun. "If I was going to murder anybody I'd murder such a cocky, little son-of-a-bitch," Richard Loeb is famed for having told a news reporter. Nathan Leopold was a genius who spoke twenty eight languages. He also didn't recognise the difference between right and wrong because he believed that he was a Nietzschean Superman. And for Nietzschean Supermen the difference between right and wrong is not important.

Even today, more than eight decades later, the bizarre trial of Leopold and Loeb is of great interest to criminal psychoanalysts.

The real-life, 2007 murder trial of the Polish author, Krystian Bala, centres once again around the idea of bored intellectuals plotting murder as a
pastime. Some facts of this genuine case are that Bala's novel, Amok, contains descriptions of a gruesome murder, and that Polish investigators cannot believe that he, as the book's author, is also innocent of the crime.

As i was told as a child, "There is a thin line between genius and madness."
Nietzsche actually did go mad. Perhaps the line is extremely thin indeed. Instinctively though, I can't help thinking that it's not very clever to speculate about the result of killing people. And yet it seems as though some very clever people do exactly that. I can't help asking myself why? My latest killing is: http://www.bookscape.co.uk/short_stories/human_sacrifice.php
It might be that some intelligent people think about murder in the way that others will about philosophy.
To some Nihilists killing and Philosophy are equal: There are those who say that Nietzsche instructed intelligent men to look beyond Good and Evil, and therefore not be constrained by weak morality. (Some say that philosophy inspired the Holocaust.) I've written a short story about how clever people might believe that Nietzsche instructed intellectuals to regard killing people as a good idea. http://www.bookscape.co.uk/short_stories/human_sacrifice.php Does Nietzsche's notion of the Superman allow the destruction of innocent people?
Do you think the intellectual writer would have got off in LA? Probably not; the writers are the pond life, anecdotal evidence indicates. What about a movie director though? Or a box-office star/director?
The Polish author, Krystian Bala, was convicted of planning the murder but not carrying it out. But he got 25 years in prison anyway. But then you've got the whole murder, trial, write a book about it (but in a different order,) with OJ Simpson, (and he did get off.) So, I guess there's your answer! (In LA Bala would probably have got off.) I guess the question is: How smart is it to theorise about -real- murders, whether you're Bala, OJ, Leopold & Loeb ... or anybody else?! My latest killing is: http://www.bookscape.co.uk/short_stories/human_sacrifice.php
Topic locked