Advice on manuscript. Cliffhanger or conclusion?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on manuscript. Cliffhanger or conclusion?

Dear fellow ABCtales users,
I am writing to those who are themselves preparing and writing a manuscript for consideration in publishing. I am writing a children's book and have realised that my plot would spread over to about 300 pages, maybe more. I have considered the following options, ending my manuscript halfway in a cliffhanger, or keeping it as a whole.

My books that I have in the same genre are about 200 pages on average, so I am considering the former. I now write to you for your advice on this matter. Should I go with the former, or choose the latter? I would like to know whether or not my manuscript would lose interest among publishers if I have intended for another book afterwards? If you yourself have knowledge or experience in this, I'd be grateful for your comments,

Thank you,

sincerely

Pmasterkim

Christine
Anonymous's picture
Hi I think you should not end on a cliff hanger yet. If your 'series' was well established and children knew they only had so long to wait for the next volume I think it would be ok, but you have to establish a fan base first. Many children prefer the security of a resolution. Anyway just chopping your book in half wouldn't work it would need to be more rounded than that. However, I agree that 300 pages is a bit long for a children's book but it depends on the age group. Have you put it on ABC? I'd like to read it. Good luck.
Hi I think you could definitely find a good cliff-hanger point half-way through and stop there, as long as you make it clear in the synopsis/covering letter that you're planning it as a two-part series, and explain the whole arc of the story. You would have to make sure that it's still a fulfilling book, though - eg some smaller elements should be resolved in order to make it a satisfying read. But generally I think the idea of a series would be of interest to an agent/publisher.
Dear Christine and Bellerophon, Thank you for your advice, you both put good arguments forward. I think this could definitely be considered as teen fiction, though I aimed for a younger audience. I wouldn't think it was young adult but my fellow twenty-somethings have found some bits to their liking. I definitely have a worth while cliff hanger (a hostage situation so to speak) and I do cover many small issues within the book. To Christine, if you would like a peek at the first few chapters I can happily send you them, you need only to 'private message' me (I'm not sure of what to call it except that). The first chapter is heavily illustrated I should add, with illustrations every few chapters. Thank you, Pmasterkim

Omae te yu na

Dear WilkyBarKid, Thanks for your advice, I estimated it would be about 300 pages. I written a draft beforehand, and though technically what I'm doing isn't the editing process, the draft was around 200 with subplots not written. You could ask if the subplots are needed, I think most are, as they build on my characters. It is now that I ask those of you who know a word count of a teen fiction? Page counts change drastically with font size. Pmasterkim

Omae te yu na

Topic locked