Helping me start

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helping me start

Hello, I am new to ABCtales.com; first forum post and I just signed up today. I would love to get to know some of the members; as well as read and critique their writings, and hopefully get a little back if possible. The only problem is, there are so many I do not know where to start. I'd appreciate if you commented and left a link to your favorite piece you've written, or even just leave a friendly hello with some tips on using this site. I would love to read, and possibly critique, or just leave my two cents on your art. I have just submitted my first post; the newest poem I have written. I hope for critique or any comments; but, it is not necessary to feel obligated to comment. c:

Thank you very much for your time, I look forward to hearing from you all.

In my opinion the best way to fish, BlackInk (hello, by the way), is randomly - I'm a firm believer in fate. Close your eyes, no peeping, hurl out your net, trawl something up and read it, then leave comments if you like the fish you've caught (or maybe if you don't). The cherrypicked list will give you many treasures to consider, but sometimes you find great stuff that no one else seems to have read much. In the newly added stories list I've just discovered the first three chapters of a story called Hawthorn realm by a new member called Wes, and I think it's fantastic stuff, so you could start there.
Thank you, I will definitely look at the cherrypicked list. I wasn't exactly sure what that was until now, so thank you for informing me. c: How do you get on the cherrypicked list? I have gone through some of the new work on this site, as well as some categories pertaining to my interests; I really enjoy it. I will be sure to try and find Wes's story. Thanks again, -Cole

-Cole

Hi BlackInk, welcome to the site. Clicking on random story can be a good way of finding interesting stuff. If you're interested in getting reciprocal comments (which is definitely the way to do it) then best bet is to look at recently added stories/poems and commenting on those. At least you know those people are active whereas a the author of a random story from five years ago may not longer be on the site. Good luck!
Thank you. Very good advice, I was just looking through some of the new work. Great point about finding active writers in that section. c: -Cole

-Cole

The latest cherrypicked stories are on the homepage, but once you start looking through other writers' work you'll spot their own cherrypicked stories. I write a variety of stuff, but if you fancy reading something a bit strange at some point read my story Flat Nine.
Thank you. I will do that in just a moment; dinner. Looking forward to reading your work. c: -Cole

-Cole

Also, if a piece hasn't got a cherry, it may still be worth reading! Thye cherry system is not infallible. Also, the cherries are I believe Christmas puddings at the moment. Someone is feeling festive.
Welcome BlackInk, Walrus and Alex are of course correct. It's the ONLY way. Dip your toe in the water or dive straight in, whatever feels comfortable. If you leave a comment people are more inclined to read your own work. Enjoy.

Thank you, and thank you for the tip. c: -Cole

-Cole

Hello BlackInk, and welcome. You have joined a fantastic site for writers of all abilities. Previous commentators have given you the best advice so there is nothing further I can add except to say there is a fantastic writer on here called Denzella. Actually, if you want to know how not to write she is the very best teacher. Good luck.