write with others

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
write with others

getting involved with a group of like minded writers is something that has helped me a lot over the years ... it is inspiring to hear their work and also people can take turns in setting exercises and homework ... nothing like knowing the group awaits your latest piece to get you going ...

the feedback is perhaps the most helpful thing tho .. getting another perspective on your latest beloved poem ...

and the outcome can be some good friendships too ...

Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
I agree - I've made some great friends (and hopefully improved my writing!) in this way. We've got an article about setting up your own writing group at http://www.abctales.com/abcplex/viewfeature.cgi?f=13 which may be useful
Antoinette
Anonymous's picture
I totally agree. Last year I joined my first creative writing class at the local adult education college. Meeting other like minded indivduals gave me the confidence to share ideas and read my work aloud. (A daunting prosepect). It also inspired me to look into areas I'd never thought of. This year I joined a certificate course and next I might do a degree course. Although the obtaining of these qualifications is not the main reason for joining the classes. I have made some good friends. People who do not stare into space when I enthuse about Harry Potter or Oscar Wilde. And people who encourage and are not frightened to give good constructive criticism. Not like my family who are , bless them, supportive but wary of telling the truth! I recommend these classes to anyone as a jumping off point. Happy bunging!
alison
Anonymous's picture
yes antoinette ... i think a local adult ed class can be a good starting point ... it's where i started when my kids were little (only because there was a free creche) ... and you are SO right about family being hopeless constructive critics ...
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
It can also be good discussing stuff online - anyone up for sharing thoughts on each others work posted on ABCtales? I'll critique yours if you critiques mine... Maybe we could even arrange to meet in this forum at a set time (assuming we're in the same time zone) having read each other work first (yep, I do work for this site but I'm also a writer with just as much need of criticism as everyone else!)
Den
Anonymous's picture
Dear Emily, I'd be very interested in reading your work, giving you an opinion, and having your opinion on my writing. I think the idea of a writing forum is a great idea, and woulfd be willing to participate. All the best Den
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Cool - how about we decided on a time and then announce it so that anyone else can join too? To start off with, I read some of your work and liked it. Mothers' Love was moving. It would have been a bit easier to read with more paragraphing. It ends a bit abruptly but what is there is realistic - the dialogue sounds convincing, which is one of the hardest things to get right (there's no apostrophe in the its of 'A leopard doesn't change its spots though) Boy is really sweet - really evokes a dream coming true. Again, more paragraphing would have made it easier to read (although I was reading it on screen - maybe if it was printed out it would be easier) Loved the way you incorporated smells into his memory. (again, some incorrect apostrophes - sorry - pet hate of mine so I'm pedantic about it) Clouds is ace - great way of explaining science to kids and I got pictures in my head when I read it, which is always a sign of something good to me. Your turn now - I'll mail you my username cos I'm trying to keep it separate from this list as I work for the site
tip
Anonymous's picture
Don't write.
olly
Anonymous's picture
Id love to get involved in a 'chat' did anyone organise a time? Please let me know as Ive got some horror writing I would like to be reviewed, I could also give my comments on your work. Ta Olly
sceptic dog
Anonymous's picture
don't trust myself how can I trust others to write with me. What if they decide to jump on my computer and type all kinds of wierd stuff! What if my mother catches them typing naked like I sometimes do...I mean that I hear people do sometimes?
Topic locked