ABCtales editors

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
ABCtales editors

To all those who have been curious about our editors (who pick cherries among other activities) here they are:

Avra Kouffman is a performance poet, writing teacher and musician.

Tessa Swithenbank is a journalist and the author of two books. She has worked in the publishing industry for over fifteen years.

Mark Yelland-Brown is a poet, short story writer and musician. He is currently doing a degree in English Literature.

We will soon be putting up their full biographies on the 'About Us' page.

I hope this answers some questions.

Happy Easter!

Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
There, it didn't hurt did it?
Diana Bird, Editor
Anonymous's picture
How do you know?:-)
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Well I didn't feel a thing!
gabrielle
Anonymous's picture
Dear editors, well, whichever one of you cherry picked my ghost story ...thank-you very much. I don't get much praise ( lots of rejections) and it was wonderful. Although I think In Paris With You is a better story! I'm geeting ready to post more ...thanks for the encouragement. this site is a life saver.
Carly Svamvour ...
Anonymous's picture
Hi editors! Nice to meet you! Thanks for posting. I just got started recently - I only have one thing up - now that the great ship themestream has gone down, I'll have more time to cruise around other onlines. I also have my own online - Wild City Writers' Workshop - if you'd like to drop in, I'd be pleased to see you there. I'm very pleased with ABCtales.com - I've been telling people about it - I wasn't really amused with that silly fight on the thread I started called 'Have I Got this Right?', but what the heck - people are people, I guess. I'm just clicking around getting to know people. Thanks for telling about yourselves. My friends call me Carly - hope you'll do the same.
Diana Bird, Editor
Anonymous's picture
Thanks for your encouragement, all of you. Carly, I will take a look at your site, sounds interesting. Cheers!
Sean Mc Laughlan
Anonymous's picture
I've just uploaded my first poem to the site. 'Seasonally Adjusted Dad'. But I found a couple of lines are out of place, and the poem is written in one font style. I had written it with two differrent font style. How can I paste a poem and still keep all the correct formats. By the way this sites not bad is it!
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Hi, Unfortunately our system doesn't allow you to change the font (it would mean allowing you to include html when you uploaded your story, which would be a security risk) The only thing I can think of is (sorry) using upper case to differentiate. Cheers Emily PS: thanks for the compliment on the site
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
Thank you for the explanation, Diane. So can just one judge decide what gets cherry-picked? This really isn't an issue. I'm honored to have work posted on www.abctales.com. Recently I entered a short story contest in eastern Canada. Everyone used a fake name and the judges had no idea who the author's identity was. I'm not suggesting this is feasible for ABCtales, but a submission process such as that ensures that the judges do not know (or care) the actual writer's true identity. Two writers who had never been published before won. This obviously left some of the seasoned writers stunned. But it was totally fair and no chance of who-knows-who. My best to all writers on ABCtales. barrywood
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
Oops. And neither did the writers know the judges' identities. Both writers/judges' work were sent back to an administration area/process.
Diana Bird, Editor
Anonymous's picture
Thanks for your comments Barry. As we are all online the editors don't know who they are cherry-picking, so it's quite an anonymous process. It's the same for the magazine. We are not concerned if people have been published before. One of the myths we are trying to dispel is that you need to have some 'special status' to be a writer. When of course that’s not the case. Most of the writers we have published in the magazine have not been published before and some only started writing when they saw ABCtales. Also we never know (unless people say in their biographies) what the writer’s history is, unless we ask. We want people’s work to stand up for itself, which the internet is great for; it levels the playing field because it’s so anonymous. Thanks, Diana
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
I adore abctales.com and your added posting makes things perfect. Thank you, Barry
Lucy
Anonymous's picture
So is mine! Spooky! ABC, we love you but your sub-editors are truly second-hand. I call upon all the punters to vote on this: Are we getting the Editors we deserve? (ticks 'NO')
Justyn Thyme
Anonymous's picture
for the cherry pick.
Topic locked