Do you rack your brains??

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do you rack your brains??

Okay strange thing to ask maybe but i was wondering if anyone has trouble coming up with names for their characters, i know sometimes i read books and read some names and think 'oh that is all wrong, it doesn't fit the person at all!' I know in my stories i sometimes spend days coming up with the name that fits the character, but to me the name is a very important part of who my character is and will become. I do get complimented alot on the names of my characters, one friend even went as far as to use one as her username in cybertown, but where do you people get your names and do you rack your brains for the perfect ones like i do?? Just curious (*_*)
xcassiex

Antoinette
Anonymous's picture
I have trouble with names as well. I have names that I seem to use alot. Sarah, being one of them. I also use web sites to get inspiration, baby name sites are good if the piece is modern. But a story I have really got into has mythical magical names. So I used ordinary names like Paul and Sandra and spelt them backwards. It doesn't always work. but it's good fun. A
cassiopeia
Anonymous's picture
I too am emersed in a tale of the wierd and wonderful and my other stories were strnage too so i tend to shy away from 'ordianry' names like sarah and go for names like Bastian (one of my vampires) or the name my firnd used in cybertown Balbo Jinx (a kind of mischievious faerie creature) and i actually bought a book of baby names and am now picking my characters names for what they mean. But i like your idea of turning names backwards to give them a new oddness.
curua
Anonymous's picture
Names tend to just pop into my head, and I really like ones with a ridiculous Dickensian feel. Just named one in my latest project 'Aubrey Burblesham'.
W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
I think 'Ivoryfishbone' and 'Mississippi' would be wonderful names for very literate, intelligent and entertaining characters. (For the discerning/paranoid amongst you, I am neither of these people). Nor am I Liana, though I am reliably informed that she has a (well used) pedestal for sale. Regards to all at Hay Bee Sea. WHA.
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Go to behindthename.com - you will like that site - it tells you what the names mean and where they came from You can also look up character traits and pick names for people that way. Names usually just come to me when I'm writing.
Topic locked