what's a female sexual aesthetic?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
what's a female sexual aesthetic?

In the soap, somebody said something about there being no hopes of ever finding a "female sexual aesthetic". Sounds incredibly interesting. What does it mean?
Seriously people?

O.J. kurious
Anonymous's picture
of course...that's it.
Hitch
Anonymous's picture
Are you confusing 'aesthetic' with 'athletic'? Justa thought.
kurious_oranj
Anonymous's picture
oh yeah, i think that was me. i was probably intoxicated at the time, as i am now, but i shall endeavour to pass on the knowledge, as it were. the "l e'criture feminine" (inscribing the female) project amongst feminist writers was concerned with changing the syntactical and grammatical structuring of language (perceived as male dominant), thereby allowing for an inscription of the female idiom/genitalia, rather than a phallic one. Despite being a man, James Joyce is widely considered to have achieved the goal in his stream of consciousness prose style, far surpassing the likes of gertrude stein and others. i am not sober, so any complaints should be directed to the help desk, preferably in the afternoon.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Why is it I keep getting the feeling that the master of mis-spelling on this site also has a first class honours degree in masturbation? And your pretence of intellectualism is not fooling anyone!
Sue
Anonymous's picture
Perfectly put, k-o! As an aesthete myself - i.e. someone who claims to appreciate art and beauty - but why go harking back to JJ? Surely there are more contemporary sources? And wasn't GS a quasi man anyway? God, if you're that erudite when drunk then what must your intellect be like when you're sober!
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Except Sue!
the man from de...
Anonymous's picture
yawn. i don't know of any better examples of feminine literature, to be honest, and i haven't read much of it beyond 1930 or so, so it would exclude all the 70's feminists who no doubt put on a jolly good show. well, gertie was a bit obsessed with the clitoris and so on, and i don't know many men who are, so by that rationale we can agree that she was, in fact, a woman! Mississipi i did try for the first class honours, but i only achieved a 2-1. in my shame, i decided to try english, altho it is a much less masculine pursuit than masturbation: tho i find that the keyboard lasts a lot longer when im typing essays instead.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I hope for your sake that they're not as boring as your contributions here!
IFB
Anonymous's picture
Missi you are an opinionated git ... i would not normally write such a thing but now you are really pissing me off ... plus i have a slight hangover and am in a bad mood ...
W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
'Reflection on Ingenuity' I was taken by this title whilst reading a Highly Literary Magazine. Thinking it yet another review of my novel 'Abridged Too Far,' I hastened to the page. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered it to be a mere ditty by a very minor poet named Ogden Nash (was he the Manucian chappie who played with Crosby, Stills and Young?) 'Here's a good rule of thumb: too clever is dumb.' I quote it here for the edification of the usual rabble.
stormy_petrel
Anonymous's picture
OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Handbags!!! *Pulls up chair*
richardw
Anonymous's picture
no, i think he was the chap that played the kazoo in carl sandburg's skiffle group.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
That's more like it girls, let's have a bit of passion around here!
richardw
Anonymous's picture
passion is a good thing, yes. i can see where you get it confused with stupidity. and crass uninformed comments.
Sue
Anonymous's picture
Good on you, Richardw! Miss Issippi / Mrs Ippi - is s/he fish, fowl or good red herring?
robert
Anonymous's picture
i can confirm that he is a man and that he may be called george...but cannot comment further as i wish to remain outside The Hazardous Realm of Opinion...
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I do seem to have read too much of your stuff.
IFB
Anonymous's picture
now who is THAT comment aimed at???????
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Have dirty undies do we Sue?
tony cook
Anonymous's picture
I was quite interested in this conversation until all the rubbish started. I don't believe in a female aesthetic but the search for one might produce some interesting writing. Maybe Mrs. Ippi could give it a whirl?
Lucy
Anonymous's picture
Its a very abstract concept isn't it? Maybe there are no modern (as in contemporary) attempts at a female aesthetic in writing because modernism looked into it and realised the best thing to do was maintain integrity and not worry so much. Also aesthetic 'gender' is less of an issue with more female writers around anyway? Or not?
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
I only took the time to read 'the soap' tonite - I'm really glad you asked this question - I couldn't figure that out either. Well, I'll read through these posts (hopefully they will be 'on subject') and maybe I'll find the answer.
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Well, that was about as enlightening as I thought it was going to be - nice try, Lucy ... :-)
kurious_oranj
Anonymous's picture
i think i actually did quite a good job of explaining it as well. oh dear
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Oh, Kurious, you did really well with that explanation - absolutely prolific ... actually, I do know what it means - I just can't put it into words myself. I thought it was a brilliant phrase actually. It made the thing interesting.
Sooz
Anonymous's picture
Eh??? Hang on while I grab a bottle of voddie to come up to speed. I know it was something to do with sex, and writing and phalic symbols I *think* what you were saying is that we should all be able to indulge in a bit of cross gender writing. Oh and that we should all have a vibrator on our computer desks, just for show like. I'm game ... Got any Y-fronts anyone?
Topic locked