the ABC effect

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
the ABC effect

i feel as though i am watching something thrilling unfold in front of my eyes ...

witness the way that fey (who says she started writing again after 20 yrs through joining ABC) has been producing some amazing stuff ...

then there is stormy ... drawn into writing poetry through the site ... and andrew also writing and reading poems when he used to say he couldn't appreciate them really ...

robert buying poetry books when he only had the nations 100 favourite poems and disliked 95 of them ...

and i am writing a lot more as a result of the site and also (which is even better) having daily conversations with other writers about writing (and ... errrr ... other things) ... marvellous ...

what other effects is the site having???? i want to KNOW!

stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
I wouldn't worry about it Gabrielle. The ABC staff have said numerous times that the process is entirely subjective. The lack of cherry simply means that your piece did not appeal to whichever editor read it. Far better to see some good stars and receive mail about your work. Richard's point is true too as is mandys. Even I read Looli's poem to see why it had been read an incredible 1800 times, without a cherry, thus boosting the times read myself! I knocked out a quick, tongue in cheek, cliche ridden, piss take story that has now been read more than anything else I have done. Why? Because it is in the erotica section and there is a bunch of pervies out there. Yet, the best piece I have done, IMHO, has only been read 3 times. Finally, imagine being cherried to death. There must be a temptation to think of fame lying in the wings.... a slot on Parki next week...... Richard and Judy soon... the blow when that does not happen could be quiet crushing. Lack of cherries keeps your feet firmly on the ground and should encourage you to try harder with your work and not lie back on the old laurel cliche. keep smiling.
wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
No drugs, no alcohol - I have a pure and beautiful finished-a-project high. I have completed the first chapter of a novel that has lain fallow for so long it was beginning to stink. It is largely due to the lively, warm-hearted stimulation of the ABC crew. (mental, not otherwise - you mucky pups). I have renewed mental energy, my blues are Persil white now. We all need this massage of our fragile egos, friendly voices and bouts of literary silliness; it's as comforting as warm milk (but not Barry's story of the same name, which was so effective that I had nightmares after reading it). I feel so very still and motivated at the same time. A happy wolf, tail wagging in appreciation. Joy.
IFB
Anonymous's picture
*dabs eyes with corner of hankie*
Mark YB
Anonymous's picture
I read poems and short stories for a job, and spend extra time browsing the discussion room getting to know the people whose stuff I'm reading, I love it!
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
ABCtales.com, I believe, is the best site on the net for writers and readers. There's something for everyone. It has certainly been a great incentive to me as a writer.
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
So true, Liana! Excellent point!
fey
Anonymous's picture
When you buy a book it's all cut and dried between the covers like a pressed flower. ABC's like clicking on a garden, different plants growing at different speeds in different ways . And you don't have to pay loads of money to get something brilliant to read in a couple of seconds E-mailing people and getting emails back. That's the best. Knowing there are loads of funny, clever people who REALLY EXIST and are not just characters in a book, even if I only know of them in print
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
What a sunny bunch of responses. I can honestly say that ABC has been more uplifting than Caprice's wonderbra for me. I was feeling seriously gloomy beforehand and becoming negative. Now I cannot wait to write.
Gabrielle
Anonymous's picture
I have learnt a serious lesson from this site - and that is that I cannot write poetry. I have posted 4 short stories of which 3 have been cherry picked and one (thank-you, thank-you editors I love you all ) was put on the front page but the only poem I have posted has hardly been read at all. I've only written about 6 serious poems in the last 20 years and I think I might just stop now and concentrate on the stories. And I do enjoy reading all the discussion threads and have to force myself not to join in with all of them or I would just spend the whole of my very short writing time (evenings after 8 and before I get too knackered) just reading/writing the threads plus new postings. But this is the only place I get to have discussions about wrriting because as i have said before I don't know any other people that write and I'm too damn lazy to start my own writers group.
richardw
Anonymous's picture
dear gabrielle you cant really guess at your poems being any good or not thru them being read much, or being cherried. at the end of the day, the cherrying process is personal opinion, and i have noticed that it is a matter of chance whether they get read or not. at the same time you might be submitting something, there may be 20 other poems being submitted. sorry if this dont make sense, im drunk :)
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
Looli, who has topped the 'times read' list for weeks, told me she thinks people read much-read work just to find out why it's much read. Personally, I think it depends on the title and description you give it. I changed the title of one of my stories and it got read far more often after that.
Pinocchio's Nose
Anonymous's picture
Those 'Times Read' numbers are the greatest works of fiction on the site.
Topic locked