Writing makes you heal better

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Writing makes you heal better

Liana sent me a link to this on the BBC News website

"Written word helps wounds heal

Writing was found to be cathartic
Pouring your emotions out on paper could help wounds heal quicker, researchers say.

It is thought that writing about troubling experiences helps people deal with them.

This could then help the immune system work more effectively, researchers told the British Psychological Society conference in Stoke-on-Trent.

They say their findings offer a cheap and easy to administer way of helping patients heal faster.

Punctures

In the study, which involved 36 people, half were asked to write about the most upsetting experience they had had, spelling out how they had felt.

The rest of the study participants wrote about trivial things, such as how they spent their free time.

Both groups spent 20 minutes a day for three days writing.

Following the writing exercise, researchers created a small skin puncture on the participants' upper arms.

The wounds were examined two weeks later.

It was found that the group who had written about their emotional experiences had smaller wounds, meaning they had healed more quickly.

Those whose wounds were healing more slowly were found to have higher levels of stress and psychological distress.

'Easy to administer'

Suzanne Scott, from the Unit of Psychology at King's College London, who led the research, told BBC News Online: "These findings have implications for the development of relatively brief and easy interventions that could have beneficial effects on wound healing.

"The theory is that there's a long-term health benefit.

She added: "It's easy to administer because the people don't need to have gone through some awful experience, they just need to write about their most upsetting experience."

Psychologists say stress also influences how people recover from surgery.

They say high stress levels mean people recover more slowly.

Professor John Weinman of King's College London told the BPS conference: "These research findings can help patients and will be important for developing interventions for patients undergoing different types of surgery."

Last Updated: Saturday, 6 September, 2003, 23:00 GMT 00:00 UK"

According to this article, most of you lot should be able to recover from a shark attack in about fifteen minutes!

[%sig%]

Jay
Anonymous's picture
Mark I did enjoyed the post and was very!! impressed with the last two lines as that could happen any day>>>>>>>SO BEWARE...
pais
Anonymous's picture
But clinical relevance is extremely questionable in itself. There are all kinds of harsh and dangerous "proven treatments" for the sick, the injured, the sad, the bereaved, for people in pain. They often don't work. We heal ourselves, any treatment or therapy simply allows us to heal ourselves from inside, and what gentler therapy could there be than writing? It's a brilliant idea, simple, kind, helpful, person-centred not reductionist, something we can do ourselves that needs a bit of encouragement is all. Not to mention that it's cheap. There was an article on how laughter cures people (of all kinds of things from depression to cancer) a few years ago and a laughter clinic was set up in Birmingham. I was so curious about that. Wonder what happened to it?
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
On the other hand, maybe the people who wrote about a distressing incident were exercising their writing arm muscles more because the memory caused them to grip the pencil more tightly, thus resulting in a huge flow of blood to the arm after they stopped writing, which in turn cause the wound to heal faster. I'm such a killjoy, aren't I? What I want to know is: Can writing help wound heels? I certainly hope so. There are some people out there I would certainly like to try that one on. (No one from this site of course.)
sabelle
Anonymous's picture
After giving this a few days thought. Yes It's treating the whole person. Talking aobut things is good, but when you write them down it's like giving validation to your feelings, being cast in stone & that must be good for the whole body. Getting the blood flowing and brain activity as well. Maybe writing courses should be available on the NHS & that's not a flippant comment. Many rehab centres have writing classes to help the person understand how they got to a low point in their life.
uppercase
Anonymous's picture
I don't know if it makes you heal faster, I hope it's true. A real strange thing happened to me when I wrote my last short story( Never Complain To Mama) it brought back memories I didn't know I had . I got the shakes and couldn't stop, real depressed and sad . Called my brother inlaw who is a minister to pray for me. Better now . Nothing like that has ever happened to me before. I hope it never does again. thanks for listening (uppercase)
Doctor Doodlealittle
Anonymous's picture
Textual Healing?
jude
Anonymous's picture
ha de ha, like it. So why do I write so much and am still a psychological screwup?
skeeter
Anonymous's picture
good, I could do with being healed a bit
Pete
Anonymous's picture
Hi Mark, Is there a published paper on this do you know?If so did the bbc site give a reference?Often these psychosomatic effects turn out to be statistically significant but so small as to be clinically irrelevent.
Topic locked