Morrissey

83 posts / 0 new
Last post
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
>> Author: Mykle (---.server.ntli.net) Date: 05-14-04 23:50 America is a big fat piog? Colin, when I do quote I try to get it right and also relevant if possible. << Yeah, I remember it well, Mykle. I also remember the apology you were obliged to make when it became obvious you had fucked up.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I agree re the pre sixteen mentality Marc... though I suspect Mozza appeals to the socially inept, whereas Alanis appeals to the angry. Fortunately I am neither, though if i wanted a rollicking good night out I wouldnt start it off with "william it was really nothing" to get me in the mood.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Panic or This charming Man would kick the evening off a treat.
Ralph
Anonymous's picture
Vicar in a Tutu What wit!
andrew o'donnell
Anonymous's picture
Doesn't Morrissey live in L.A?? [%sig%]
Liana
Anonymous's picture
He resides inside his own A.O...
Flash
Anonymous's picture
The Queen is dead if only.
marc
Anonymous's picture
I always think Sing Me to Sleep gets everyone in the right mood for an evening of fun myself, or the unforgettable girlfriend in a coma. I know it's serious. Dylan is unbelievably overrated. A couple of brilliant albums but mostly it's unlistenable, nasel whining, hillbilly dross. Let Jack of Hearts be exhibit A. The man is not a poet. He's a singer. A pub singer at that. I'm right. You're all wrong. Whateveeerrrr. [%sig%]
Flash
Anonymous's picture
*Gasps and points at Marc speechless*
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I heard bernard manning sing girlfriend in a coma once. I was at a works christmas dinner and was fucked off at the entertainment.. didnt expect to laugh at all... but oh, how that particular part cheered me up.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I dont like Dylan either as it happens.
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
I think Morrissey's great. His lyrics are sometimes great and at other times hilariously ridiculous. "In America, It brought you the hamburger, Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig You fat pig, You fat pig." Anyone who's prepared to get up on stage and sing that is star in my book. After all, it's not all former front men of top indie bands who'd go all the way to Estonia to research their new record. Or maybe he's going on hearsay?
Jeff Prince
Anonymous's picture
Morrissey's teaming up with Hear'say? As Simon Cowell would say, that would be a *sensational* way to spend my pocket money. [%sig%]
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
He speaks highly of you.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Liana likes Midge Ure.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Mmm I do... so does Ralph. Fancy that.
Hen
Anonymous's picture
Hmm. I think what you're missing out on, Liana, is the tongue in cheek. Or something. Morrissey's lyrics have always been utterly blunt and anti-poetic - therein lies the appeal. Don't think what you cite is among his finer works, but it's got that characteristic absurd heavy-handedness - which, consciously done, is the key to Morrissey humour. I think. I *will* be buying that album....
Mark Yelland-Brown
Anonymous's picture
I was trying to convince my wife that he wasn't up his own bum and is just awkward but as much as I admired him in his `hey Dey! , he was a 24 carrot plonka! But J Ross is .. funny, but there is something suspiciously creepy and .... I think it's because he's `honest` about himself that he thinks he can get away with being so crass, so flipping crass. Watchable, squirmy type crass.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Just thought I would state for the record that I have no idea who this Morrissey person is. There, that's done.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
He's THAT famous! There ya go, don't worry about it James.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Have you heard of Midge Ure, James?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Midge Ure? Isn't that a Portaloo for dwarfs?
Flash
Anonymous's picture
He isn't that useful.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
I want to change my mind on the 20 q's thread and put Justyn down as the living person I would like to be.
hitch
Anonymous's picture
Justyn, Morrissey is famous for playing football for both Liverpool and Everton. Great winger.
1legspider
Anonymous's picture
I saw the repeat of that show late last night. Agree he is a prat.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Great Whinger.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I think he was nervous and is obviously deeply shy.. but also hes unfortunately unpleasant, dismissive, uncharismatic... and crap. He looked like an aging redcoat in stay pressed slacks when he was singing...If he was your dad, youd be mortified. I dont care if his lyrics are meant to be tongue in cheek (and i suspect sadly that they are not)... even if they are, they are dull... dull as in not sharp, and dull as in zzzzzz.. Sorry, I dont buy into the Myth of the Mozza.
andrew o'donnell
Anonymous's picture
Have sneaking suspicion that he is a bit of a prat.. obviously didn't see this show BUT if anyone has taped it and would like to convert the tape to the american system (for about twenty quid, I think) and then mail it to Korea then let me know (I'll give you the address ho ho) ..because I'm still quite fascinated by him. Love The Smiths. In the interviews I've seen of him he comes across as someone who is a bit like a politician.. i.e- he has this manner whereby he can be saying incredibly dull, uninspiring and uninteresting things and yet he gives his phrases this mystical, cryptic edge which belies the fact that what he is saying is actually mundane, boring cack. A phrase like 'I have a cat'.. in Morrissey's way of speaking, would translate as- 'I have a cat but what do I mean when I say cat? ..and what do the letters C.A.T ACTUALLY denote.. if they denote anything at all.. AND if I do have a cat then is it big or small? ..it kind of reminds me of something someone said to me once.. hmm hmm.. oh yes' Some sixties rock stars also suffer from this too. Morrissey's hands are very interesting too.. he does very odd things with his hands when he's talking. [%sig%]
donignacio
Anonymous's picture
If he was my dad, I'd be too busy driving down Sunset Boulevard in my shiny red Porsche.
marc
Anonymous's picture
Ah, the old so crap it's good argument. The ironic lowering of standards to baffle and confuse, thereby cunningly using superior intellect to bamboozle faux intelligent critics and listeners of top 40 chart commerciality; blurring the lines and redefining the criteria of high and low art. Genius? Too soon to say. Greatness must mature in the murky soil of time. Mmmm, no, most of Mozza's stuff is awful. The Smiths were alright and occasionally brilliant. No singer has taken the mickey out of teenage angst quite like Mr Quiff in his smiths heyday. The Puerto Ricans love him, apparently. [%sig%]
Flash
Anonymous's picture
I liked the Smiths. WHAT SHE SAID What she said: "How come someone hasn't noticed that I'm dead and decided to bury me God knows, I'm ready" What she said was sad but then, all the rejections she's had to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy What she said was not for the job or lover that she never had What she read all heady books she'd sit and prophesise (it took a tattooed boy from Birkenhead to really really open her eyes) What she said: "I smoke 'cos I'm hoping for an early death AND I NEED TO CLING TO SOMETHING !" What she said: "I smoke 'cos I'm hoping for an early death AND I NEED TO CLING TO SOMETHING !"

Pages

Topic locked