Submissions to magazines

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Submissions to magazines

Hello all,

Probably like many here, I've sent a few stories to a few magazines, and got a few rejections. But feel like I've just skimmed the surface. I've just started writing short stories seriously in the last few months, after spending three years on my novel (my writing before that was very rambling, unfocussed and usually unfinished, so I didn't do anything with it). To be honest, I've never really read magazines that print short stories, just collections in books, so am totally unfamiliar with the "market" etc. I had no idea there were so many out there, including small press. Selecting who to submit to seems very random.

I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me, but if anyone with a better knowledge could recommend anywhere, maybe a mag they've had success with or where my stuff might fit in, I'd appreciate the heads up. If this is a stupid question, feel free to tell me to bugger off - I won't mind.

Thanks,

Nick

Hello Nick - one place you could start is here: www.duotrope.com It seems to have every publication in the world, and you can search by criteria - horror, romance, flash, poetry etc. I haven't used it yet, but it was recommended to me. Good luck with your submissions!

get yourself a copy of the writer's handbook - it has everything you could want no matter what genre your writing. ;)
Thanks for the advice, guys. Duotrope seems a bit daunting given the amount of results you get, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of slog! I don't really know what genre I write in - I like to think of it as "literary" fiction but that is probably way off the mark. Might have a glimmer of hope with the novel, actually - still not had a direct reply from the woman at Faber & Faber who I sent my book to six months ago, but the friend who told us about her has been in touch and apparently she mentioned it was "necessary to find an agent". So we're taking that to mean she's not written it off as complete claptrap. Need to look into agents as well, then - will update on here if anything else happens!
The best place to get work published is The New Writer. It's where lots of people have their stories and poems in print for the first time. http://www.thenewwriter.com/
Thanks for the heads up.
Hey ho. Not been around here for a while as things have been extremely busy on a family level over the last few months (and then obviously Xmas) and the spare time I've had has been spent redrafting my book and sending submissions. So short stories are on the back burner, but I still like to check in here to see what others are up to. Have had a story accepted now - The Insomniac appeared in Writer's Muse in Dec, but the editor forgot to let me know until just now. That did mean I got a free copy when you normally have to pay. Will be taking out a subscription as the last page cryptically hints that I may be appearing in the next issue (I sent four pieces). Would definitely recommend to anyone to submit or subscribe as there is a really diverse mix of styles, plus interviews, reviews etc. The editor seems really friendly, if possibly a bit absent-minded! Address is www.writersmuseonline.com. Nick
Hi there Nick, If you want to consider getting published then I would suggest starting with the small press magazines. Personally I have tried submitting to People's Friend and Woman's Weekly without any success so far, although I do have two currently under consideration with Woman's Weekly. This is not an easy place to get started and unless you are very near to the mark with your submissions you are likely to get rejection letters but no more. There is an organization called Park Publications that publishes several magazines Debut Scribble Countryside Tales. A year's subscription to Debut will cost you £15. For this you will get four copies of the magazine and the right to submit your own stories for consideration in respect of publishing in the magazine. As a subscriber you also get a critique from the editor on what is good and bad about your submission. If you aren't a subscriber you can still submit and get a critique but there is a charge for each element. If you look on th ePark Publications website you will see full details, and before anyone asks - no I am not an employee of Park Publications but I have benefitted immensely from the editor's advice and yes I do have a story due for publication in Debut in the near future. All best wishes dave

Aim for the stars then if you fail you might still land on the moon, and that's not a bad second best.

Hi there, I'm writing this on behalf Litro Magazine, a free monthly literary magazine that publishes original short fiction. I couldn't help but notice this forum topic an I wanted to let you know that Litro is currently seeking submissions. We aim to support new writers: this industry can seem daunting and Litro wants to give emerging writers a creative break. Litro is an innovative, pocket-sized publication with 100,000 copies distributed monthly in London and across the UK as well as being published online, ensuring that your stories will be heard above the noise of the city. We are looking for original submissions with a strong voice and something to say. We urge you to get in touch via our Facebook and Twitter profiles and submit your creative work. Before you send us your work, however, please consider our submissions guide. DO SEND: interesting, new short stories of 3000 words or less in any style or genre. If you are writing with one of our themes in mind, please send your work on the 1st of the preceding month with the theme clearly stated in the subject line of your email. If not, please write ‘unthemed’. All submissions should be emailed as word documents. DON’T SEND: poetry. We publish poems but only on a commissioned basis so please do not send poems as they will not be read. Don’t send work that includes gratuitous language, racial abuse, explicit descriptions of sexual activity, violence or the misuse of drugs. This is a rare opportunity. If you are interested in finding out more about Litro Magazine, the quickest way to support us and submit your work is through our Facebook and Twitter pages. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Litro-Magazine/114211835301071 Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/LitroMagazine Litro Magazine Online (and submissions guide): http://www.litro.co.uk/ Hopefully this sounds interesting to some of you, it would be great to read your stuff!
Topic locked