George Bush/21st century icon/discuss.

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
George Bush/21st century icon/discuss.

Everyone seems to hate the guy, don't know him personally.
Any one for George?

Taj hayer
Anonymous's picture
The really strange thing is that I mentioned to an old lady in a queue at the fish shop that Dubya should plough on with Son of Star Wars regardless of international condemnation. It was only intended as a comic ice breaker, but now look what's happened. Come to think of it, the chippie attendent did have a familiar Texas drawl; he also got my change wrong and tried to take the fish out of boiling oil with his bare hands. The toddler in the pram behind me also looked strikingly like Colin Powell. Am I being moled?
Bill The cab driver
Anonymous's picture
I had that George Bush in the back of my cab once. He wanted to be taken to Madam Tussauds for a fitting. Nice Chap, lousy tipper.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
I thought lousy Tipper was Al Gore's wife...
Taj Hayer
Anonymous's picture
Not as bad as Lyndon Johnson's wife, Ladybird. I get the impression that her parents must have been terribly twee.
andrea
Anonymous's picture
'ang on! Ladybirds is cute little red buggies wiv spots...
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
think this will probably be a very short thread if you're looking for his supporters, Mark ;-)
Hitch
Anonymous's picture
Anyone for Dennis?
richardw
Anonymous's picture
is that les dennis, or dennis quaid?
Mark Yelland-Brown
Anonymous's picture
I think George Bush is a man with a mission. To find out what winds up anything that smells of wet liberals and then wind them up. I love the way he winds people up, just by being George Bush. Bring back Bill, at least he had morals! By the way I'm not a George Bush supporter, I don't actually know what he stands for, and nor does He! But the usual knee jerk reactions coming from the `intelligensia` based on mostly the smell of anything `right wing` winds me up more than Georgy Porgy. Martin Sheen for President?
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Jonny Depp for president more like. He has enough money to run, lets face it. Isn't that the one and only pre-requisite for American politics? I'd vote him in for his cheekbones alone. }:o>
Liana
Anonymous's picture
erm thats johnny
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Did anyone ever read Borges short story on the Lottery of Babylon? It moves rapidly from cash prizes to more unusual prizes and from time to time, unpleasant outcomes, to ensure audience interest. I would speculate that outside of dictatorships, most modern democratic leaders have so little actual decision-making power, that we could elect a new Prime Minister each week on the lottery and see very little real difference.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
I would vote for Johnny (if I were American, which I'm not) Anyone who appears in a teen TV show and quits because the writers won't agree to his suggestion that his character become sexually obsessed with peanut butter is worthy of respect. Equally Mark, George Bush did famously say that he hoped in the future man and fish could coexist peacefully. He deserves some credit for his stupidity, and the other guy gave me the creeps. I can't believe I am posting to this thread, but it is very quiet on the forums at present.
Dubya petrel
Anonymous's picture
Define 'Icon' Discuss.
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
I think that's why I potsed the thread, not just totally to bore everyone. Most responses to George are of the gut wrench feeling variety as though to apply any brain work to the subject would in some way validate the luscious Georgy! The point is there is no doubt he `seems` almost a parody of a right wing `type` of republican, but he's the bleeding president, surely somewhere we better take the sap seriously, he's got accsess to some pretty serious hardware; is there any positive vibes anywhere I ask you? I mean the guy has got the ultimate responsibility, we can be glib, he has to face the consequences of bad choices, and then we face them!
Stormy W
Anonymous's picture
If any of you can recall when dear ole ronnie ray gun got elected much the same was said.... cue B movie jokes ... but.... Will the passage of time show that Reagan was an Icon of the 20th century? Was he really Maggies toy boy? Did they really bring down the iron curtain and end the arms race by busting the USSR's flush? *puts on mississippi's tin helmet and says "Discuss!"*
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
Knock me over with a large wet haddock of coincidence!! Only four days ago I mention a certain comedy sketch - something I've not seen discussed for yonks - and what have I just come across? Correct! The same sketch mentioned in a political column on page 19 of a Sunday paper. Some of the above thread on spin comes out too! Perhaps we are just ahead of the times in the ABC forum..... Pure coincidence you say dismissively....... ..... or was Robert correct when he said - in another thread - that some people here have serious explaining to do. Are we are being watched? Now I won't sleep either.
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
Stormy, I tell you this thread has a weird feel, either it's the dampest squid since Lennox hit the canvass, or the pooh is going to hit the fan. Yours, in 3 minds, Mark.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Okay - is he really that thick or is it an act ? How can he really be that dumb ? Is it more likely that he just doesn't get polished up and just mouth words pulsed into his ear-mic by a team of spinners and scriptwriters. I'm not sure, he certainly handled China very badly, but most examples of his stupidity I've seen centre around his lack of world knowledge. To be honest, I think that suits the mood of America, who are a bit tired of being the world's bouncer and would prefer to just go into Splendid Isolation, save for the occasional bomb run, just to keep in practice. Maybe like Ronnie, it helps for the President to be really dumb, so that he doesn't have ideas of his own. It is much better to have a figurehead who does as he's told. I am a firm believer in minimum government - we always seem to manage perfectly well in this country when Parliament takes a two month break. All of the best Governments have actually done very little other than actually not stuff up the economy. And just look at the nonsense Blair comes up with when he tries to think for himself.
Taj Hayer
Anonymous's picture
It's a bit worrying that a president should be required to delegate so much responsibility - undermines the whole idea of democratically elected representatives (if the election didn't do that already).
robert
Anonymous's picture
hmmm...does it follow that things said in the forums will come to pass?...*ponders new thread: my recurring and erotic dreams of miranda richardson* nice to see that you've been taking notes there, stormy :-)
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
I think he can't be as thick as he comes across, that would be too worrying, but he doesn't seem to give a toss about public relations. In a way it would be great to get away from spin but he reminds me of a boy in a man's job, I suppose we can only hope his advisors have their finger on the button. Oh my gosh what a scary pun!
IFB
Anonymous's picture
definition of icon = mandylifeboats
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
IFB - intriguing MYB - you ever see that Not the Nine O clock News sketch where Gryff Jones is the pres who has forgotten his lines and Rowan Atkinson is the advisor whispering behind him?
Topic locked