abandoned

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
abandoned

Crikey ,,, I've had practically zero reads for a week now ... I'm starting to feel inadequate

spaghetti_si
Anonymous's picture
I herebye swap my readers for your great writing ability. * Going to check your stuff again .* Si has been busy but is back and reading posts
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Hope you didn't put an end to this one, then...:-)
spaghetti_si
Anonymous's picture
Andrea, I figure that as you respond to me that it must not be my fault. Though it quite often is my fault :)
w1ldrover
Anonymous's picture
thanks for the encouragement ... aren't we writers insecure?
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
Keith, if you go back to older topics in this thread you will find a question by Ivy asking about member numbers. Back then it was 1800 users, of which, 540 submitted stories. Assuming those numbers have moved ever upwards it just shows how few people actually read stuff here. A story of the day will often only attract 40 or so reads. There are probably only 20 or so contributors to the forum (strip away all the alias'). With so much work to choose from now, new members cannot possibly get around it all, whereas they could when the site first started six months ago. I suspect that many people discover this fine site, post everything they have written over the last ten years, then bugger off again when they aren't offered a book deal within the week. Also it is holiday time and many readers are away. Finally, as Robert said in that same thread, an awful lot of people have some explaining to do! If everyone signed up for the daily newsletter and then hit the story of the day it isn't unreasonable to to expect several hundred reads based on these figures. Since that doesn't happen you have to question the motives of many of these users. The words self, self and self come to mind. Don't get insecure. It's just the world being normal. :->
W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
Well said, young Petrel. If those yappy dogs don't shut up soon, I suggest a boot in their Tradesman's entrances. They don't like it up 'em!
smithers petrel
Anonymous's picture
Pass me the shotgun Audenary. Rectum? Soon will be old boy.
Gabrielle
Anonymous's picture
Are there really so few contributors to the forum? I don't use any aliases (alias'?) alley arses. But I thought there were hn udreds of us. It would be great to know how many users/writers submitting stuff now. And yes writers are insecure and selfish. And paranoid. I bet there are people out there reading stuff and saying "I"m not posting my stories/poems on there ...the ideas will be stolen!"
iFB
Anonymous's picture
i suspect you are right stormy ... i think one of the major points is about being generous ... that involves reading people's stuff and giving them feedback on it ... i read an awful lot of stuff on here ... i think i try out most people ... some i love some i don't ... and if i do like it i try and tell people ... as for the forums ... well it is the same people a lot of the time and i have found interestingly that i will go to people's work if they contribute to the forums ... one of those cases i imagine where you get out what you put in ... what's that saying again ... what goes round comes round or something ... and as for aliases on the boards gabrielle ... i don't use them ... and i think it is easy to know who is who when you get used to people on here ... voices are very distinct ... but the aliases and the fake email addresses are part of the entertainment for me ...
robert
Anonymous's picture
how many people do get the daily newsletter, eds? i can't claim to have read something by everybody. however i do always read the poem of the day, and also check regularly the last 10 entered to see whether any of my favourite contributors have posted. if i see an unfamiliar writer i'll also read them, if i have time. i went thru all my stuff about a fortnight ago, and was amazed that some of the older stuff had been read 2 or 3 hundred times, when in the early days of the site it seemed to be getting 1 or 2 reads a week. i'm sure that there are now lots more people who read stuff regularly.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
Ivy is right about the voices. You can usually tell who is posting. It's a bit like the old French resistance movies. Each key operator has their own signature. Sorry Rob, much as I love your stuff, I suspect that the hits were from the 'heydays' or you just got lucky recently. With nearly 5000 items on the site, if 1000 people log in how many pieces can be possibly be read in a day? And to think.... I'd just settled w1ld down too. Next post will be by 'the most read poet'. "well, actually, I didn't think anyone had noticed my uncherried piece - then, all of a sudden (a la cupid stunt sketch), 2000 readers hit on me!" w1ld commits suicide.
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
Well said, IFB. I try to read as many members' material as possible and the story and poem of the day. There's never enough time to read everything. Your "you get what you give" is absolutely right, IFB! Some of my best entertainment comes from reading the forums. Stormy Petrel, your above "informative" posting got two reads. Good one!
stormy again
Anonymous's picture
IFB's never given me feedback. Smithers! Fetch the noose old boy.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
looks like we were posting at the same time Barry. Cheers. I try to read as much as I can too. But you can't do that all night/day can you? I find the forum almost compulsive and have to force myself away some nights.
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
I hear you, Stormy, my friend. Cheers back atcha.
w1ldrover
Anonymous's picture
thanks for all the input ... somehow everything seems ok when you are not alone doesn't it?
curua
Anonymous's picture
With so many good writers on the site it is hard to keep up with your favourites, check out new writers AND read all the forums. I do tend to stick to poem of the day and Last 10 entered too, with a few clicks a week on the random story thingummy thrown in. Even if only three people read one of your pieces, though, it's better than leaving them stuck in a drawer where no-one's going to see them.... :)
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
One problem I have is that lots of people submit poetry in the story section. Sometimes I don't feel like poetry but just want a good read with my bagel & beans. Other times I feel like poetry but can't find the whole selection, for the same reason. Anyone else?
David Taub (aka...
Anonymous's picture
Hi Mandy.... I'm with you on that. It would be nice if the random search could be for ''either' stories' OR 'Poetry'. I think postings under 'poetry' is now about 3 times that of 'stories'. I'm reading between 10 and 20 postings each day while I can currently find some free time to do so.
Topic locked