'Finnegans Wake' again

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
'Finnegans Wake' again

If anyone's interested, I found an audio recording of James Joyce reading an extract from his novel: 'Finnegans Wake.'

I'am trieing to find out as much info about the book as I can at the moment to help me read it. And whilst looking for some info I stumbled across this audio recording. It lasts for about five minutes, and doesn't make much sense, as you can imagine it wouldn't do; and I haven't got a clue whereabouts in the book the extract is from. Though I haven't got that far into the book yet, as it's a book you got to read slow. It's gonna take me a while to read this book man. But I love it. Also I'am finding out that James Joyce is rude. I stumbled upon a passage, and reading a long muffled word I realised what it was about. But I won't discuss this here, or I might get into trouble. Needless to say it shocked me.

Anyway the way he reads the extract from his book, just flows all natural, and is great to listen to. The language is musical/lyrical for the ear and entertaining; though I doubt you will have a clue what he's going on about. So don't try to work it out. Just enjoy listening to it.

Is interesting to hear how an author reads his/her own work.

You can download the extract for free from here as an mp3 file or as a stream:

http://www.salon.com/audio/2000/10/05/joyce1/index.html

desk_clerk
Anonymous's picture
Great! Thanks for that funky, might encourage me to pick up the tome once again!! Shall check it out and get back to you on it! Callum
Topic locked