"Cousins"

91 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Er...........are you on the wrong site?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
No flash, you are, it's THAT way, and don't forget to log-in.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
It's been AGES since we had a real cat-fight on the forum. I'm offering 4 - 1 on the 'faceless cow', any takers?
Emma
Anonymous's picture
<> not inclined to exaggerate, are we?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
the odds are dropping, it's 3 - 1
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
I met this bloke yesterday, who's friends with my mum and dad, who was an extra in Troy. That was exciting. Haven't watched it myself, though.
Emma
Anonymous's picture
I've seen a bit of the hype about this film, but I had no idea they had sacrificed this element of the story, how utterly ridiculous. Do you know Tippett's opera, Narcissa, called 'King Priam' - imagine that without the homosexuality! I bet it was Brad Pitt's reputation at stake, but that just shows what kind of actor he really is, if he can't stretch to a bit of homosexuality, well...he must be closet or something, lol!!! This would ruin it for me, so I won't be going now. Another example of a great myth/story being stripped to it's bare bones for the sake of cinema money spinning. btw - did you get to speak to Lydia or Derek?
Flash
Anonymous's picture
I don't understand betting, but i think the bookie(missi) always wins from what i've read.
narcissa
Anonymous's picture
David: that's so cool! You should watch it just to look for them (don't bother, otherwise, it's terrible) Emma: Ach there's loads that is majorly wrong, plus they pronounce Menelaus "men-a-louse" which really grates (probably just because in the production of "trojan women" I was in, we said "Men-a-lay-us", which I believe was right because the people directing it were major Classics boffins and had done loads of research into how to pronounce names correctly). No, I don't know the opera. But I can imagine what you mean! Haha I spoke to Lydia on Friday, she got really excited and was like "Oh how looovely!...I went to her wedding, you know!...she was one of the first ever creative writers!...I could tell you about one of her poems, I still remember.." etc etc. V adorable. Dr Derek has been lurking, so I've glimpsed him in his car, but haven't managed to grab him and interrogate him. Git.
Emma
Anonymous's picture
You are right on the pronunciation, Narcissa. I did my undergrad dissert on Greek tragedy in 20th c opera - mainly because Derek introduced me to 'King Priam' (he's probably still got the video of the now defunct Kent Opera performance which is really something). You should check out Strauss's 'Elektra', if you haven't already, it's bloodcurdling stuff. Awwww, re Lydia. But pleeeeeeeeeease don't EVER read any of my crap school poetry, even if she presents you with a fully bound copy, lol!!! I was always utterly rubbish at poetry, for God's sake, I was unable to prevent it from rhyming, like some obsessive-compulsive dissorder! You have to grab Derek for me and tell him I did a music masters - he'll probably pass out on the spot and you'll get out of lessons. I was still on Tippett's case for the masters, and finally proved him (Tippett) utterly flawed - but in a comparison with Britten how could he come out top? Still all the Tippett madcaps still rave about him. Does Derek still compose? I'm impressed with your various poetry accolades on your member page... The Mount seems to have a good tradition in creative writing... At creative writing group Lydia used to produce coffee via expensive coffee bags, and biscuits, but she never had any sugar, and used to tell those with a sweet tooth to drink their coffee through their biscuits! Most girls came for the biscuits - I went for the intrigue and pent up emotions! Is she well? She must be getting on a fair bit now. And I am always dreading her telling me her husband, Phillip has died, as he's about 20+ years older than her.
Emma
Anonymous's picture
btw, what are we sad people doing on these forums on a bank holiday? Actually, mine's been highly productive in a domesticated way...been to the dump with all the trash left over from our house move (only 7 months have passed!) washed the bird shit off the car, bought a lot of raspberries (sic), played badminton, shifted loads of cat shit off the borders, played badminton again, eaten cream scones with strawberries on...yes it's a fruit day... It's never worth going anywhere 'out' on bank hols...bloody human beings everywhere. Food and shit about sums it up for me.
neil_the_auditor
Anonymous's picture
Just had a new kitchen fitted and had to move all the kitchen stuff back in today; most of it's thick with dust. The dump is also beckoning ...
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Were you satisfied with your kitchen, Neil? And where was it from...we still can't open our cutlery drawer...(mentioned on forum at least 4 months ago)?
fish
Anonymous's picture
we went to see troy last night (with the simple addition of an ! it could be a musical) ... i did enjoy it ... such utter out and out cheese ... admittedly i haven't done classical studies since my o level 24 yrs ago when we actually read some homer but i was also surprised to hear "Many Louse" obviously the director has spent some time in my daughter's primary school ... we did Trojan Women at school ... what a bunch of laughs THAT was ... i remember my one line "i can see men carrying oars" but not a lot else ... rachel lee got the best part (as usual) ... the best thing about troy was the feast of sweaty macho man flesh on display ... and the fact that every geriatric actor that ever breathed was in it ... i even saw shoestring at the end ... marvellous ... i wouldn't cross the road to look at brad pitt ... what's the big fuss? ... and why wasn't brian blessed playing agamemnon ... and as for helen ... i thought andromache MUCH more beautiful ... and helen was a miserable old bat .... this film will be a cheesy classic in 20 years time ...
narcissa
Anonymous's picture
I won't read your poetry, if you so command! Yeh we get biscuits, but its such a huge group of people now, you wouldn't believe. When I was in year 7 there were about 10-15 people every week, and now there are about 40 first and second years who rampage around and write crap. Soo annoying, but @ least they're enthusiastic. Ach. I'll corner him and declare all about your Masters. He'll probably make some sarcastic comment, actually. He's master of tasteless jokes. Ho hum I don't know if he still composes, I have never heard anything he composed, apart from an awful descant he made up for a carol in xmas meeting 2 years ago. Although I have heard that he is good in general.
narcissa
Anonymous's picture
yay for new kitchens :D sure it will look spiffy v soon (spiffy? ...SPIFFY!? where did that come from?)
Emma
Anonymous's picture
He composed a piece entitled 'An English Clarinettist in Venice' for the famous player of same, Alan Hacker (probably dead now). We performed the piece at the time. If Chivers makes any sarcastic jokes about me, I'll be after his head on a plate...hehehe, back to stories of biblical proportions, have you heard Strauss's Salome, based on Wilde - sumptuous!
purplehaze
Anonymous's picture
am now worried about Emma and have patronising judgemental thoughts about her being worried about me when there is the 'cleansing' of homosexual art forms to be worried about. sheesh Best have my beans on toast, or is it beans and toast or is that only if you're dunking the toast into the beans coz they're not heating up quickly enough and am I allowed to mention that in the Trojan War string? I just don't care me.
narcissa
Anonymous's picture
must go and revise. byebyee
Sara
Anonymous's picture
See "brave thread" for skooldaze comments. Would be nice to keep this thread about Troy.
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Purple, will you please stick to the subject of the thread, sheesh, why should you be allowed to 'witter' about beans on toast? As regards worrying about each other, well, of course, I am only entitled to say I have been worrying about you lately because in reality there is nothing to worry about on your behalf, especially when seen in perspective with the evidence about my mental instability spreading like a rash over these forums. hehehe *goes to phone shrink*
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Taking my advice I see Emma...
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Sure, we're buggering off now, point taken.
Emma
Anonymous's picture
...know a good one, Liana? I've tried ringing round, but they all sound very nervous when I explain my predicament...
purplehaze
Anonymous's picture
best just to have some beans on toast then
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Ajax,Achillies,Patroclas,Hecabe then you get names like Hector,Cassandra Helen and Dave..........that can't be right surely?
Emma
Anonymous's picture
I've only got spagetti hoops in - will they have the same effect?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Oh dear Emma, you have really pissed our Sara off, in spades.
narcissa
Anonymous's picture
Ok I'll solve this. Emma: I do indeed have email, so give me ur addy, and we need not clog the board with our "endless wittering" "Faceless Cow"/Moose/Chicken/Sara (whatever): Happy now? (although I'm only doing this because I can't be bothered to check threads so often)
Emma
Anonymous's picture
hehehe Whoever Sara, the self-appointed site moderator, is, she hasn't stuck around...to discuss Troy! Anyway, if she wants a battle, I'll get Felicity, she's bigger than me.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
D cup?
Emma
Anonymous's picture
You'll get it by clicking my name above - I've stopped putting my e-mail on the threads because of spam harvesters... Pop me in your lists, then we can avoid the wrath of the almighty...hehehe
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Well, when she draws herself up to her full height there's just no telling what she can achieve...Spartacus eat your heart out. Yes, about D cup, and even firmer than mine.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Troy won the Derby in 1979 for HRH the Queen, now there's a family that don't mind a bit of interbreeding...........so perhaps Patroclas was the Cousin of Achilles and also his lover.......isn't this quite common in South Eastern Europe, North Africa and central Asia that a bloke will have a boyfriend before marriage, because pre-marital sex is taboo big time out there with the opposite sex.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
hahahaha! I've long held the belief that women on these threads are far worse than the men (with an obvious exception) it is often said the world would be a better place if women were in charge. In the past, I have thought the same at times but, watching the fur fly here at times makes me grateful that men were in charge at the height of the cold war. "She said what!!!!!!!!!" "The Premier of the USSR siad you had a face like an Orang Utan's arse Mrs. President" "Gimme that fucking button now!" *inserts smiley to avoid being nuked* :-)
Felicity
Anonymous's picture
Now look, Emma was just airing her feminine side - to show the girls she can - know what I mean? She gets lumped in together with me so much, she thought she'd have a cat fight to prove her passport to femaledom is not a fake. *nukes stormy - because women can break the rules, ok.* *adds smiley so that he can't nuke back - this rule applies more strictly in the case of a man nuking a woman* :-)
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
*sends Emma's email addy to the spam farm*
Emma
Anonymous's picture
I'll have you turned into burgers, MISSI.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
OK. I can play by those rules. *carpet bombs Sheffield* :-))
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Are you suggesting I'm a cow?

Pages

Topic locked