fat lot of good...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
fat lot of good...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/26022007/397/family-faces-talks-obese-schoolboy...

I think it's probably Tony Blair's fault - either him or computer games.

It's almost certainly both! Whatever the subject is. By the way who was it that made the daft comment that the Blair computer was out of commission due the mising letters W M and D?
I blame that Jamie Oliver myself. The appalling tragedy of that story (and accompanying video clip) should not detract from how entertaining it is watching a fat kid push all the thin kids off the trampoline.

I can't think of a single computer game where you get to play a fat kid! Unless, that is, you eat too many pizzas in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas... pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

His mother said: "Through Connor's weight gain there's been no-one there to step in. He's been going to doctors and stuff, he's been getting weighed, and no-one's actually stepped in and said `Look, there's a problem here, we have to get it sorted.'" I don't like to go all Daily Mail on everyone but is it really too much to suggest she might have noticed herself?

That was my thought, too, Bukh. But the world is swimming in people who don't want to take personal responsibility for their own affairs...
It's nobodys fault except the lard-arsed mother's. She's unfit to be a parent and the kid should be removed from the home immediately. Kids eat what they're given...eventually, as we all will if we get hungry enough. This kids mother is a fucking disgrace. She should have her fanny sewn up to prevent her breeding further.

I wouldn't want to make those kind of judgements but it's certainly a problem if people are instinctively expecting the state to take responsibility for their children. I think this is a policy issue. I know from working in local authorities - particularly when it comes to children & young people - there hardly seems to any area of people's lives that the state can't potentially encroach upon with advice and support. A lot of this advice and support is very useful but it can lead to big questions including: (a) how do you balance the rights of a kid not to be fed to death with the rights of parents to be left alone to get on with the job of parenting? but also (b) why - if this mother is genuine - has she reached the situation where she thinks anyone and everyone is responsible for her son except her?

Topic locked