Neo-Romanticism

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Neo-Romanticism

I consider myself a Neo-Romanticist. All of my role models are from the Romantic Peroid... Beethoven, Lord Byron, And Shelley etc. This does create a tension in my Christian soul, but I don't think it's a bad tension.

Anyway, artists like Stanley Kubrick find the roots of Fascism in the Romantic Movement. They see Romantics as having created the cult of personality and as possessing charismatic personalities which express the Will (an expression of the Zeitgeist or Spirit of the Time in terms of music and personal will and aligning it with a natural or divine will in nature or society) and over time, turning this Will into an abstract Idea which is absolute and neoclassical in Nature. I wonder why these artists see history in this way. Why is Beethoven so attractive to Alex in Clockwork Orange, a hardened criminal expressing Communism through his Russified English? Why is Hitler presented to the march of Beethoven's lovely music?

On the other hand, Steven Spielberg sees Fascism as the apotheosis of neoclassical values. Fascist soldiers listen to Mozart and then kill, destroy, and pillage.

Is the whole world heading toward Fascism? Are human beings kept adolescent to prevent us from reaching that end?

I am completely out of my depth but you obviously know what you're talking about I agree with you whole-heartedly &&

Well, in German Philosophy, after the critique of Pure Reason and the death of God in Philosophy via Kant, it was assumed that Reason was a fulfillment of the Dionysian/ Apollonian dialectic. The Dionysian represents the human will aligned with natural will which gives humans a superhuman strength. Read Bacchae by Euripides. In the Dionysian state, human society is whole, total, and each Dionysian is pretty much the same as the next. But what Dionysians do is tear apart reason, but this does not necessarily have to be the case.

The sublimation of Dionysian aspects of human experience brings about the Apollonian arts of sculpture and painting (In modern terms, Motion Pictures since art has pretty much become non-representational). The arts of scupture and painting set a hierarchical structure for the society which supports the social order. This allows the aristocracy to think about the future and even plan the future in even tumultous times like ancient Greece.

Read The Birth of Tragedy by Nietzsche. In the modern world, rock and roll represents the Dionysian.

So our thoughts are products of our personal will, sublimated refined and thought out, not "things in and of themselves."

I was just wondering why some filmakers see the whole world as Fascist except themselves.