peculiarly english

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
peculiarly english

i want to say something about self promotion, englishness, reserve, international differences .... things like that ...

it may have been the ouzo but i am unable to form this thought ... but if someone else could do it i would be most grateful ...

Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Oh, now I understand why I couldn't see Liana's work - I thought she was just blowing steam when she said she did. I was going to take mine off, but I don't think I will now - except the stuff that I think is going to be accepted at a publishers - the publishers usually like you to take your work down from public forums when they accept your story. CS :-)
W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
I was listening to a gramophone recording of 'Nightsong of the Fish', the epic poem by Christian Morgenstern, when it occurred to me that my next Royalty cheque is due in the morning. Perhaps a visit to Ta Chucks to celebrate with a carafe of Rondelet Red?
WHA
Anonymous's picture
Though I ought to restore your heading, fair denizens of ABC.
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
I enjoy promoting myself, I'm full of Englishness, I'm reserved to a fault and I'm full of international differences - dear IFB, may I be of help?
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
errrmm .... you enjoy promoting yourself MLB and yet are reserved to a fault? ... *more confused* x x x
trans_europa_oranj
Anonymous's picture
i couldn't possibly comment on englishness, may offend said english.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
So you can't spell and don't like the English! Why the hell are you here?
IFB
Anonymous's picture
ok ... have had cup of tea ... ouzo haze is clearing ... have read female sexual aesthetic thread ... am now hopeful i can string a sentence together ... what i was trying to say is that i have noticed there are many different approaches to self promotion via these message boards ... and there are noticeable reactions liana's pedestal for example ... my own feelings are that i purposefully avoid people's recommendations of their OWN work ... i am wondering why this is ... maybe i am just contrary... but was thinking it has something to do with being english/reserved/anally retentive? ... that it is Not Good Form to blow one's own trumpet ... i'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on this ...
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Dear Ivy, I think I agree with most of what you say apart from the fact that I'm not English and am almost incontinent!
kurious_oranj
Anonymous's picture
i can spell fairly well, thanks.
robert
Anonymous's picture
i agree that it is entirely off-putting when people recommend their own writing - if someone invites a slap on the back for their work, i think they derverve a slap in the face. i don't know whether that makes me typically english or just nasty i don't object to people asking for opinions, but if i felt inclined/confident enough to invite criticism i think i'd prefer to email a few writers that i rated
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Good for you Robert! You're fast becoming my hero!
IFB
Anonymous's picture
excuse me! ... robert is MY hero and i will thank you to keep your hands off him
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
My mother and her family are Welsh. My father's family are English. My last name is real - it isn't a 'pen' - it's French for good looking, intelligent, talented and modest. I am, myself, damn near incontinent ... nearly pissed myself when I read that story about divers widdlin' in their suits to keep warm. As for promoting your work - there's a difference between 'recommending' your own work and 'requesting an audience'. Recommending; I do that on other people's work; Requesting an audience; I do that often on my own. I love to critique stories. I love to help people edit their stories. I love to read. I love to write. I love to share.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
A good point raised. I too have noticed a recent proliferation of postings to the site - we are going to have two hundred different threads on this site if we are not careful. However, I am generally kind-hearted and willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. So, without naming any names, perhaps some general rules for enjoyment of the forum... It is supposed to be fun - sometimes serious discussion points are raised and get drowned in banter, but sometimes the banter is very entertaining. If it really bugs you, just post your answer to the serious discussion point and try to get people thinking and talking again. Personally, I've largely enjoyed the postings of Robert, Liana, Missisippi and Ivoryfishwife and if things continue as they are, we will need a separate forum for self-promoters. I wouldn't object to a single topic that was 'Feedback' , but it should be open to anyone who posts and asks for feedback, rather than just 'what do people think of my work?'
IFB
Anonymous's picture
good points mr. pack ...
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Perfect Fey....you're a bit of a goddess yourself if l may say so!! }:o>
IFB
Anonymous's picture
fey goddess genius ... i am already preparing my fake adulations ...
finn
Anonymous's picture
So your last name is a bit of a misnomer then?
Topic locked