Story of the Day

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Story of the Day

I've been fortunate enough to have been selected as Story of the Day today, which is always a great thrill.

The trouble is that on reading through my story I can count at least half a dozen typos, and have even noticed a short sentence missing that I know I meant to put in.

Thank you, all the same, editors.

Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Yes, well we'll ignore the typos, won't we .... this was a fascinating essay. I couldn't help thinking throughout the whole story WHY? WHY? WHY? Just the same, I congratulate you and your wife for having faced it. You told the story well, Karl.
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Thanks Carly, Why? I Don't really know. A young man has to challenge himself. And as a young man, I did. But now I'm middle-aged, aren't I old enough to know better? No! I was offered an opportunity to go into the Venezuelan jungle this year to search for holes in the ground that have never been reached by land, and the reason I didn't go is because I couldn't get the time off work. If I could wangle the spare time, I'd be out there in a New York heartbeat. A few years ago, before I had a family (as such), I was involved in organising a three-year round-the-world treasure hunting expedition. We were unable to raise the necessary finance and had to shelve the idea. There's £350,000,000 down there (in 15 wreck sites) and we figured that given three years we could find 10% of that. Bummer, huh? Would I feed sharks hand-to-mouth again? Probably not. I have a son who has shaken my world with his love. I don't want him to grow up with an old man who only has one hand. The firewalk? It's a metaphor for life, of course. It's easy to walk away. But if you "go for it" (whatever IT is), one step at a time, the benefits far outweigh the scary bits. Sometimes you just have to grab life by the bollocks and see where it takes you.
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Well, I believe that it's good to do everything your intuition leads you to when you're young - then you don't get restless when you're old - I didn't do everything - so that's why I'm restless - I knew there was some excuse - LOL!
Topic locked