the book that made you cry

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
the book that made you cry

come on hankies out ... admit the books that made you snivel and blub ...

andrea
Anonymous's picture
'The Broken Heart Tattoo', only I can't remember who wrote it, damn it, 'twas years ago...
camtickle
Anonymous's picture
one book that made me snivel....though i must admit when i first read it i was quite young at the time...was Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Weis & Hickman(fantasy)....and i think it's in that one where Flint died. I remember imagining exactly how Tasslehof felt and i had to put the book down through sheer disbelief of his death. I always find it a test of courage for an author to actually kill off one of the main characters in a book that, i'm sure, everyone who read it loved and i'm also sure that the authors must have felt such a sense of loss for him having been their creation...well atleast i would. It was something that led me out of the childhood books, where all the time the main characters that you can identify with, always live through every hardship but it's something that everyone sooner or later realises in life that it just isn't so... and well at that age it was i guess my first taste of that sort of thing. another book is Girlfriend in a Coma....
Carly
Anonymous's picture
My youngest daughter (when she was little) cried everytime that Frosty the snowman melted. She says she still has a wee sniffle. I cried after the last page of Love Story - the book tells you at the outset that she's going to die - still, I could hardly believe it when she died at the end. I think my first 'book cry' was a book I had as a child - Ajax - The Last of the Dragons.
Sue
Anonymous's picture
I wept buckets when in Tess of the d'Urbervilles Tess christens her baby Sorrow. He dies the next morning
the professor o...
Anonymous's picture
"Betrayal" by Claire Francis. So badly written I wept for days.....
IFB
Anonymous's picture
behind the scenes at the museum made me sob ... so much that i had to put the book down and go into the kitchen ... and there's a page in peter pan which gets me every time ... and selima hill's little book of meat ... *sniffle*
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Not a book, a poem - Tich Miller by (yep, you've guessed it) Wendy Cope
curua
Anonymous's picture
"The History of the Tudors"- not because it was sad, but because my history teacher smacked me around the head with it for talking in class.
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
Vera Brittain's "Testament of Youth", Everyone close to her dies it's heart ripping stuff.
Deborah Spiers
Anonymous's picture
Black Beauty and Little Women when I was a child. Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre when I was a teenager.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
There was a book I read when I was young about a kitten whose family moved to the city and so he was sent to live in the country and ran away to find his real family and had all sorts of adventures before finally getting home. That was pretty sad and for my money there aren't enough books written from the cat's point of view (or indeed a poodle's POV, he says, trying to get back in Ivory's good books) Oh, and I've remembered the title - it was called Tom the Traveller, Tom being the name of said kitten.
J.T. Fortesque-...
Anonymous's picture
Sir, Books? Crying? ......... Bunch of cissies. Yours in trussed, J.T.F-Ls (Maj.Gen.Rtd.Hurt)
myrtle ostrich
Anonymous's picture
the book that made me cry most recently was "Everything You Need" by A L Kennedy. i then gained comfort from reading the obituary column in the sheffield star so i don't have to bother reading a book any more.
daisy
Anonymous's picture
I think it has to be "The Heart Shaped Bullet" by kathryn Flett. It charted the rise and collapse of her marriage, and it managed to vocalise all the feelings and pain that you go through after the break-up of a relationship. True, brutal and traumatic. I cried heaps (and I'm the kind of person who found the death of bambi's mother laughable!)
millymolliemand...
Anonymous's picture
Just finished Temples of Delight by Barbara Trapido and that made me cry but when I finished the book I couldn't remember why. The Unbearable Lightness of Being made me cry, the bit about Karenin the dog being put down - when I read it I sobbed and sobbed!
Beth
Anonymous's picture
A poem by John Donne, it might just be called song, but it starts something like: Sweetest love, I do not go For weariness of thee... It's about having to be seperated. I also had a crush on my English teacher at the time, and nearly cried when he read it in class (highly strung brat!)
Beth
Anonymous's picture
A poem by John Donne, it might just be called song, but it starts something like: Sweetest love, I do not go For weariness of thee... It's about having to be seperated. I also had a crush on my English teacher at the time, and nearly cried when he read it in class (highly strung brat!) Also the Womens Room, when Val is shot.
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
Black Beauty as a child and Testament of Youth as a grown-up. I was just about to go for a job interview and arrived all red-eyed and blubby. I still got the job though - bad luck for Radio Trent and Nottingham and good luck for me! It meant I didn't go into TV for 20 more years as I turned down a job from Granada in Manchester in order to take it. So - career chaning stuff all that weeping! Also cried at Puckoon by Spike Milligan - but that was from laughing!
Julie Andrews
Anonymous's picture
Arthur
martin
Anonymous's picture
I'm not sure if it was a book, but in the 70s as a young boy, I saw a disney- like film years ago called, "Where the Red Fern Grows" it was about a boy and his dogs, one died protecting him from a mountain lion, and the other died of loneliness. They were buried side by side, and just before the kid left for the west with his family, he went to the graves, and a red fern was growing between them, which was an native amercan sign of true love.....aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh
Inkwell
Anonymous's picture
Oh my god!!!!!!! Catickle, that's that the book that immediately sprang to mind when I saw the subject. I cried like a baby when Flint copped it. Pathetic really. Other books, weel not so much the book. I have "The Colour Purple" by Alice Walker but I bawl from start to finish everytime I see the film and I don't have the guts to start the book. I look at it every now and then but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. One day though..... ooh, the song Puff the Magic Dragon still turns me into a sobbing wreck......
Inkwell
Anonymous's picture
By the way I'm new. hi everyone.
fountain
Anonymous's picture
hi ink. well, wanna dip your pen?
Inkwell
Anonymous's picture
Hi fountain one story already uploaded and more to come hopefully. I'll keep on going 'til the well runs dry!!!!
Topic locked