I need your brains for my research

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need your brains for my research

You seem like an intelligent bunch of people;- sensitive, well-read, mature (aw, get on with it-Ed). Anyway, I am currently researching an article on hunting and hunters for a commission. I am trying to find both historical and contemporary figures who were hunters who 'converted' to conservation. I already know about Aldo Leopold (Conservationist, philosopher etc) but I'd also love to hear your undoubtedly erudite comments on the subject. What makes someone turns from killing animals to saving them? Is it spiritual? Is it the result of a life experience which changes their perceptive or right and wrong, such as in The Deer Hunter?
Any feedback from you fine stable of fillies (and studs) will be gratefully read. Anyone read Leopold by the way? Interesting writing.

IFB
Anonymous's picture
apols again pup ... do not know a thing about this topic (as with most things come to think of it) but felt sorry for your poor unanswered post ... x x x
richardw
Anonymous's picture
add mine in there too
alex
Anonymous's picture
How far can an ant see? I think while writing this I could be earning 100 dollars an hour and if not 100 then for sure 50. So here I am sitting on the think tank amidst evanescing scents of before yesterday's chicken chili beans and observe a single ant meandering about. Pitting in my mind its size against 36 square feet of flooring I think of the enormous desert geography surrounding it. It trots here then there, stops and whiffs or does it sniff or sends signals? It changes direction and scurries under the door then maze back not in a single dedicated path but a meandering, searching purpose. Searching for what but for its and its tribe's survival. Tribe! Maybe the future of a whole dynasty depends on that single scouting ant! I think that when I walk amongst the grasses and open fields how much life I squash inadvertently. The thought of squashing the ant crosses my mind but I refrain. For the ant it is but a moment of respite until mankind's next step. So how far can an ant see? Can it see Morocco, its palms and fig trees? It does not seem to react to me at all! Am I important to its survival? Does it see or sense me? Do I exist for it? So I continue searching and meander wider and wider into life's puzzle. So far I traveled wide and far but never farther than sixty one times around the sun. I saw seven hundred and ninety five moonrises and moonsets and always return to fresh beginnings realizing that I am nothing to you or the ant unless we interact. Smile!
Anne Ant
Anonymous's picture
What was Alex on about? Couldn't make it out. Pass my glasses...
Taj Hayer
Anonymous's picture
I liked it. And I guess there's always the story of Teddy Roosevelt sparing the bear Miss Wolfgirl. And lots of stuff about not killing when you have the chance (I'm thinking of Alex's ants here). Maybe metaphorical hunting is an avenue for you to explore. Ooh and watch the end of Bladerunner (all of Bladerunner in fact [the director's cut mind])
Topic locked